Next up a series of music blogs, all of which figure into our growing collection of Culture Blogs. As always, these lists are a work in progress, and if you feel that we've missed something great, please feel free to email us and let us know.
- Alex Ross: The Rest Is Noise: A blog by the music critic of the one and only New Yorker magazine.
- All About Jazz Bloglist: What you get here is not so much a blog, but, even better, a meta-list of jazz blogs. This should keep jazz aficionados busy for some time.
- Arjan Writes: A well-reviewed blog that looks at pop-alternative music. Features album reviews, interviews and free downloads of demo tracks and new releases, plus videos from new bands.
- ArtsBeat: A blog put out by reporters and critics from The New York Times. Includes reporting from arts events from around the world, including recent reports from the festival at Coachella and the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.
- Blogcritics Music: A community of writers and readers from around the globe musing about music.
- Brooklyn Vegan: An "NYC-centric mostly-music blog that focuses on reporting international
news, live show reviews, pictures, tour dates, gossip, tips, MP3's,
videos, and just about anything else a music fan could want."
- Chicago Classical Music: A Chicago-focused blog for classical music enthusiasts.
- Coolfer: A blog that "focuses more on the music
industry than on specific bands." Want to know about music stories in the news? Then look here.
- David Gilmour: You know him from Pink Floyd. Check out his personal blog.
- David's Journal: Along similar lines, this blog is put out by David Byrne, heady head of the Talking Heads.
- Feast of Music: A journey through the music of New York (and occasionally other places). Emphasis is on classical music.
- Glorious Noise: An online music magazine featuring essays and stories about how rock and roll can change your life.
- Gorilla vs. Bear: Recommended by Nothing But Green Lights. See below.
- Guardian Music Blog: An eclectic blog put together by The Guardian in the UK.
- I Guess I'm Floating: Music and music news of the rock 'n roll variety.
- Ionarts: A DC-based arts blog with a marked focus on classical music.
- Largehearted Boy: A "music blog featuring daily free and legal music downloads as well as news from the worlds of music, literature, and pop culture."
- Live Music Blog: Nothing like a title that pretty much summarizes it all. Yes, this is a blog about live music.
- Marathon Packs: Writes about and lets you listen to interesting songs.
- Moby's Journal: Here again another not-entirely-musical blog by a music celeb -- Moby.
- Motel De Moka: A daily blog posting eclectic playlists, including indie rock, acoustics and ambient.
- Music for Robots: An acclaimed mp3 blog that features diverse music. All music
is posted with the permission of the artist and/or label.
- My Old Kentucky Blog: What's new and hot in indie rock, pop, folk and hip-hop.
- Nothing But Green Lights: A UK-based mp3 blog that keeps track of indie, electro, folk & pop, all from the UK. The site only posts tracks that the internet is giving away for free, or ones that have been granted permission.
- NYC Opera Fanatic: A blog for the opera lover (a term, however unfortunately, that doesn't apply to me).
- Ryan's Smashing Life: A New England music blog coming out of Boston.
- Sandow: "Is classical music dying? That's a big topic, and a blog seems like a perfect way to attack it." That's how critic, Greg Sandow, describes his blog.
- Stereogum: A popular gossipy blog about the indie music scene. The site often posts mp3s of new music, plus offers record reviews, announces tour dates, and covers music festivals.
- The Modern Age: A highly touted blog about "about music, pop culture, the Strokes, puppies, Jack White, and cute boys." Brought to you by Miss Modernage.
- Twangville: Covering "twang-infused music with an alternative slant." Alt-Country, Americana, Indie, Rock, Folk & Blues.
- Your Home For Soul: As you can tell, it's a blog for soul fans.