PBS’s NOVA recently aired a three-hour mini-series, The Elegant Universe, that introduced TV viewers to string theory – a radical “theory of everything” that unites major laws of physics and offers a unified explanation for everything that happens in the universe. The program was hosted by Brian Green, a string theorist who wrote a runaway bestselling book also called The Elegant Universe (you can read an excerpt here). The program makes difficult concepts quite graspable, partly with the help of dynamic computer animation. And the best part is that you can now watch the mini-series any time you want online (just click here to get the videos). You can also access the complete description of the show here.
PS: Here is a great heads up from a reader. “A great complement to the Elegant Universe is the Origins series on NOVA, part of which is also available online. It details the creation of life on earth.” The complete collection of NOVA episodes can be found here. Thanks Allen for the good info.
- Science Podcast Collection
- Cutting-Edge Physics on iTunes
- Has Stephen Hawking Been Wrong For The Last 30 Years?
- Einstein’s E = mc2 Explained
- What Genius Looks Like at Zero Gravity
- William Gibson, Father of Cyberpunk, Reads New Novel in Second Life