ALISON— A Trove of 400 Free Online Job Training Courses

How many of us have taken an online course to learn a new language? My guess is, a lot. How many have used the web to find a recipe? Even more. But as handy as those skills are, will they help anybody land a job?

While unemployment figures hover at just above 8 percent, analysts say that the numbers are much higher for low-skilled workers. Skill-sets are out of sync with the demands of today’s job market and fewer companies than ever offer on-the-job-training for rudimentary workplace skills, like how to use a computer or work in an office environment.

ALISON—an Irish company with an uncatchy longer moniker: Advance Learning Interactive Systems Online—provides free online courses in job-friendly skills. Some are basic but essential—Fundamentals of Google Docs or Touch Type Training. Others are more specialized (Programming in Adobe Flash) and many could be useful for anybody, job seeking or not (Protect Yourself From Identity Theft).

ALISON focuses on the practical, culling free courses from a range of publishers that will upgrade anyone’s employment skills. The site has a million registered users across the globe and is adding 50,000 learners every month. Un- or under-employed people can get help planning their career path with a course that takes from 1-2 hours. The course includes an assessment and a discussion forum.

While many sites offer academic instruction, relatively few offer free workplace skill instruction and ALISON selects courses for their quality and interactivity. The site is so robust and straight-forward that government workplace centers in 18 states use it as a tool to help clients beef up their resume skills.

Of the 400 available courses, the most popular is also one of the most comprehensive. ABC IT  is a 15-20 hour comprehensive introduction to IT literacy. It integrates basic concepts of computing, Microsoft Office applications and touch type training, as well as big-picture discussion of how computing can be an everyday feature of life and work.

The site itself serves as an example of computing as a tool for social change. “We believe that all certifiable or standards-based learning for every subject can be made available for free online,” ALISON founders write on the site. “We also believe that Article 26 of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights which states ‘Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free . . .’ will, through ALISON, become a reality.”

As always, when you’re done visiting ALISON’s catalogue, don’t forget to spend time with our big collection of 500 Free Online Courses from great universities. There’s no shortage of career-enhancing courses here, including a long list of classes dedicated to IT and computer science.

Via the New York Times.

Kate Rix is an Oakland based freelance writer. See more of her work at katerixwriter.com

1. CORNELIA CAUDILL says . . . | July 26, 2012 / 3:55 am

Sounds interesting!

2. steroids says . . . | October 4, 2012 / 7:39 am

I’m middle aged and have been considering going back to College but to be honest e resources like this might be a better choice.

3. mr.jo says . . . | November 23, 2012 / 3:40 am

im realy I’m very scared – Is there anyone who has to pay the cost of the certificate for this site ( ALISON ) ???

4. akhona ntsali says . . . | January 15, 2013 / 2:50 am

iwould like to know about i.t courses

5. thumeka says . . . | January 22, 2013 / 2:40 am

im looking a job training for social auxillary worker;also i want to know more about this job training

6. thumeka mankanku says . . . | January 22, 2013 / 2:42 am

please its emergency when u get thios massage please respond.

7. gwen acquaye says . . . | April 2, 2013 / 6:14 pm

I am interested in the free training.

8. KITUNGANO-DELVAUX says . . . | April 9, 2013 / 10:39 pm

please tell me the name of an international university which offers free online courses in french and how to register.

Thank you.

9. Refilwe Jantjie says . . . | May 19, 2013 / 8:32 am

I am really interested in studying in diploma in psychology but the problem is i failed grade 12 matric is there any way u can credit me because i have one year experience as being one year social auxillary worker i did a learnership.I am currently studying a one year certificate in trauma counselling with intec college. I will be happy if u could get back to me asap my contact no is 079 476 1824

10. lahai charles says . . . | June 16, 2013 / 9:40 pm

i am a senior school six student, i have sat to the west african senior school certificate examinatiom and have good grades and requirement to go to the university but my father cant afford to pay for me and i dont have any one who can afford paying for me.so i have decided to find free online job training so if there is any help please contact me on my cell phone +23230828575 i dont want to waste my potential.thanks.

11. Zena Ali Nassir says . . . | July 29, 2013 / 9:00 am

Iam a high school graduate but couldnt further more because of financial issues as am an orphan. I would really appreciate if you guys could find me an online job training. my cell phone number is +254729479421. Your consideration will be highly appreciated. Thanks

12. Lubna Yasmin says . . . | August 6, 2013 / 5:08 am

I am looking for job with study .

13. Mohsin Ali. says . . . | December 17, 2013 / 11:40 pm

I have passed my two year Intensive Training Course at the Govt. Technical Training Institute, Multan, Pakistan, for Grade II (Skilled) level in the Trade of Auto Mechanic. Now I want free training course to improve my skill.

14. Haider Ali says . . . | December 17, 2013 / 11:43 pm

I have passed my two year Intensive Training Course at the Govt. Technical Training Institute, Multan, Pakistan, for Grade II (Skilled) level in the Trade of Auto Mechanic. Now I want free Training Course to improve my skill.

15. SIMON MUPFUUGWA says . . . | January 5, 2014 / 8:52 am

CUSTOMER CARE COURSES

16. lucky says . . . | January 13, 2014 / 5:17 am

I m lucky pandey doing job ..now i want free study with job .so plz help me.i want improve our personalty for free course.

17. Abdullahi mojisola says . . . | January 22, 2014 / 12:40 am

i am looking for free online job course that will enable me to get online job

18. sam Chipwere says . . . | February 10, 2014 / 5:07 pm

Do you offer Food and Nutritution/Banking and Healthy course….in short send me your list of courses which you offer at alison…

How can someone to be registered??
    Pliz ASAP.

19. Hema Malini.R says . . . | March 9, 2014 / 11:51 pm

I am a Bsc Integrated Home science student and got throuhg good grades and presently working in a speech and hearing clinic,I would like to do a course on customer care service & Nutrition & Dieitiecs for additional qualification and improve my skill.Kindly get back to me +919972401372
    Thanks

20. coker says . . . | April 5, 2014 / 8:53 pm

how can i register and be certified online

21. sharathrajnp says . . . | April 21, 2014 / 9:37 pm

22. sharathrajnp says . . . | April 21, 2014 / 9:38 pm

yes I love thise. job

23. michael young says . . . | May 27, 2014 / 2:17 pm

I’m 46 years old and have certification in HVAC, Plumbing and electrical work. All my life I have worked in construction. 3 weeks ago I was told by doctor that I can no longer do this type of work. I have arthritus in my hips, the left hip needs replaced ASAP. I have filed for disability but do NOT wish to make it my career. I am unable to stand or walk for more than an hour, so looking to be retrained in new career behind a desk. I’m thinking computer work or possible HVAC Engineer. Currently I am recieving no income so a free course would be ideal. Thank you

24. kishor says . . . | July 10, 2014 / 4:17 am

i like franch lungavage
    so jelp me

25. kishor says . . . | July 10, 2014 / 4:18 am

i like franch lungavage
    so help me

26. Mary A. Murphy says . . . | August 5, 2014 / 9:30 pm

I would like to study French with Mooc company. I have tried to enrol, can’t seem to do this therefore I need help and possibly a phone number to allow me to speak to a human being. MY phone number is 01294 550 765

27. Mary A. Murphy says . . . | August 5, 2014 / 9:33 pm

Please send me all requirements to be able to study French. I have repeatedly tried to enrol with no success. Can you contact me or send me a phone number where |I can speak to someone re my attempts to enrol in Beginners French?

28. Samuel A. ASONG says . . . | November 7, 2014 / 10:31 am

That’s wonderful!!!

29. Mubanga Yubai says . . . | December 14, 2014 / 5:20 pm

please send me information on computer systems courses