The Ultimate Full Moon Shot

The quick backstory: “Dean Potter walks a highline at Cathedral Peak as the sun sets and the moon rises. Shot from over 1 mile away with a Canon 800mm and 2X by Mikey Schaefer. This shot was part of a bigger project for National Geographic called The Man Who Can Fly. “

1. Chuck Baggett says . . . | January 17, 2013 / 9:50 pm

My daughter objected to a loud high pitched buzzing in that video. My old ears don’t hear it at all. Does anyone else hear it?

2. Niko says . . . | January 17, 2013 / 11:22 pm

I’ve never seen the moon rise that fast. I have watched moons rise up on the horizon and never nearly this fast. Illusion due to the wide angle shot?

3. Erik says . . . | January 18, 2013 / 3:13 am

Yea, I can hear a high pitched buzz

4. Hawthorn says . . . | January 18, 2013 / 3:41 am

Wouldn’t the “Ultimate Full Moon Shot” have a full moon in it somewhere? The one in the video is waxing gibbous. I like the chap saying “do it again.”

5. John says . . . | January 18, 2013 / 5:52 pm

Dear friends,

I wanted to let you know about a new petition I created on We the People,
    a new feature on WhiteHouse.gov, and ask for your support. Will you add your
    name to mine? If this petition gets 25,000 signatures by February 09, 2013,
    the White House will review it and respond!

We the People allows anyone to create and sign petitions asking the Obama
    Administration to take action on a range of issues. If a petition gets
    enough support, the Obama Administration will issue an official response.

You can view and sign the petition here:

6. Barry says . . . | January 19, 2013 / 11:23 am

The apparent speed of the moon’s rise is indeed increased because of the lens focal length, although it’s an extreme telephoto, rather than wide angle view. Didn’t hear any buzz at this end of things, by the way.

7. rjeff says . . . | January 21, 2013 / 11:04 am

The Earth rotates 360 degrees in 24 hours or 15 degrees in one hour. This reduces to 1 degree every 4 minutes. The diameter of the Moon is 1/2 degree. It therefore takes 2 minutes for the Moon to move through one full diameter. These are round numbers and an approximate calculation, but close enough to what we see here.