9-Year-Old Philosopher Ponders the Meaning of Life and the Universe

He’s nine years old. And they call him “The Philosopher.” Give the clip a few seconds and you will see exactly why. The Philosopher tackles the biggest questions: Why are we on earth? What’s our place in the universe? Is there life elsewhere in that universe, or, for that matter, do we live in a multiverse? What’s the meaning of life? And, finally, might our life be predestined — all scripted out for us in advance? Watch it, and then ask yourself: Do you know many adults who can reel off better answers? Doubt you will say yes.

via NPR via @Alyssa_Milano

Futurist Ray Kurzweil, 17 Years Old, Appears on “I’ve Got a Secret” (1965)

Jimmy Page, 13, Plays Guitar on BBC Talent Show (1957)

The Beatles as Teens (1957)

• DonPepe1972 says:

As the Scriptures say, “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise and discard the intelligence of the intelligent.” ~ 1 Corinthians 1:19

• ok51 says:

Man I wish I would have had parents like that when I was that age!

• Nathan says:

I watched this the other day, and I honestly don’t see why anyone thinks this is amazing. to me it sounds exactly like what I would expect from a 9 year old that has tried to answer these questions, as long as they had even a bit of education (say, a video describing space).

• dright says:

nathan is right. nothing special here. watching some discovery channel and stuff, being asked the right questions by the parents, and thats’s it.
    being a philosopher is not about coming up with the answers, but asking the right questions.

• Gladson Nag says:

about judges why are we judges to other?

• ayo says:

Hopefully the kid keeps the questions at the forefront of his thought throughout life; he will be much better off if he does.

• Kashif Siddiqui says:

For those of you who are saying that there is nothing special about this Kid, think about yourself when you were 9. Heck I couldn’t color in lines when I was nine. Look at his cognitive style, more mature than most adult. To say I might be wrong shows the real intellect of a person. The little you know the more you think that that is all one can know. Knowing what you don’t know is real knowledge. Just like the little ant that kid mention that she does not know that there is more than a patio out there. I never thought that why I like to watch other people play sports until this kid verbalized it for me. Show some grace and appreciate this kid. He might just be another great philosopher of his time.

• Nicholas Taylor says:

I do think about myself when I was nine, and I was thinking stuff similar to this. I’m surprised to hear that it’s uncommon, honestly. I thought everyone did.

• makski says:

okay that kid is smart. my parents called me the professor. guess what? 20 years later I’m not. who is a professor anyway? just a label.

• pc nair says:

Anyone who thinks this child is not special and prophetic. .has probably never asked themselves life’s greatest questions. Or simply could not understand what he was saying.

• James Mulvey says:

This kid gives me hope. I love this kid, he is so fricken smart to the point where he blows my mind.

• alex says:

what sort of a human being only asks questions? what value do you bring to the world if you only ask questions and in the same time you bring down the ones that try and answer? can you live a life without answers? see… i just asked a lot of questions. but those question from stem the idea that you are a completely retarded close minded individual.exactly like your academic field. the great philosophers that you think of are not great. are in fact very very small. their writings especially kant’s are a mental masturbation of a mistical faggot. so is hegel. each and every time when i say something or anyone else in the field of knowledge you are obliged to say why. if you don’t , than that means you don’t work in the filed of knowledge you work in the art business. the art of fooling the peasants.

• Alex says: