Aspiring painters, take note. As of today, you can watch Season 1 of The Joy of Painting, the PBS show hosted by painter Bob Ross. The educational show first hit the airwaves in January, 1983, and ran through May, 1994. In each 30-minute episode, Bob would complete a painting, while explaining in a soothing, hushed voice various techniques for creating landscape oil paintings.

You can watch Episode 1 of Season 1 above. Here Bob “introduces us to his ‘Almighty’ assortment of tools and colors, tells us that anyone can paint, and creates a landscape of a forest path just after a rain shower.”

Below, you can watch a playlist of 13 episodes. For some reason, the playlist starts with Episode 2, then flips back to Episode 1, and, from there, things unfold sequentially, straight through to Episode 13. #Free Art Education. Enjoy.

Follow Open Culture on Facebook and Twitter and share intelligent media with your friends. Or better yet, sign up for our daily email and get a daily dose of Open Culture in your inbox. And if you want to make sure that our posts definitely appear in your Facebook newsfeed, just follow these simple steps.

via

• Joyce Goodsell says:

Enjoy!

• Patrick Matriscino says:

Never missed one of Bob’s..shows !♡

• Richard says:

I can’t paint at all but I used to watch this show just because it was so relaxing. It was a very simple and a very brilliant show!

• Oğuzhan says:

This show was broadcasted in 90s in Turkey too. I remember having breakfast when watching Bob Ross creating a new world in canvas. Nobody was into painting in the family but the show was so relaxing, it served us a good times! R.I.P Bob Ross.

• Drewy says:

There is a parallel world made up of Bob Ross landscape paintings. I hope to visit there one day. Maybe that son of a gun will be there too.?

• Jackie Lenihan says:

I can’t tell you how excited I am after watching this. I’ve been learning to paint now for just over a year and been surprised at what I can turn out – but this is so exciting to do something so quickly. Thank you Ross 😊

• Lee says:

I started watching Bob in 2005 shortly after having a breakdown and I still watch his videos every night to help me relax

• Reginald Dickson says:

I love his shows,they are educational enlightening,and calming.

• Charles cote says:

Super.. Need to see seascapes & ships

• Bianca says:

Hi! can you pick up the exact names of the colors he’s using? thanks

• Lois milligan says:

When will Bob Ross painting series be back on PBS? Thanx!

• Rick Wilkinson says:

I loved watching Bob for many many years. He was a inspiration to me. I’ve been painting all my life and he has tought me techniques I would never imagine. It’s is great to see his shows

• Anthony Gill says:

I use to watch Bob when I was on night-shift, his series was on the BBC education channel, I painted casually, but with no real idea of light, depth or prespective and Bob changed all that, now got the mrs to watch him and in turn the kids are now interested to watch him, he is so easy to listen to and tells a story as he paints, almost like reading a novel you can’t put down. As you can tell I think now he has gone the world will be a less colourful place, “Hope the Almighty looks after him on those beautiful clouds he painted and keeps his family safe, God Bless”.