A quick fyi: 1500+ MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) will be getting underway this month, giving you the chance to take free courses from top flight universities. With the help of Class Central, we've pulled together a complete list of December MOOCS. And below we've highlighted several courses that piqued our interest. The trailer above comes from Yale's Introduction to Classical Music.
- Creative Writing: The Craft of Plot
- Big History - From the Big Bang until Today - University of Amsterdam on Coursera - December 4
- Design Thinking for the Greater Good: Innovation in the Social Sector - University of Virginia on Coursera - December 4
- Cracking the Creativity Code: Discovering Ideas - Technion - Israel Institute of Technology on Coursera - December 4 (6 weeks)
- Introduction to Classical Music - Yale University on Coursera - December 4 (9 weeks)
- History of Rock, Part One - University of Rochester on Coursera - December 4 (8 weeks)
- How Things Work: An Introduction to Physics - University of Virginia on Coursera - December 4 (8 weeks)
- Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring: Modernism, Ballet, and Riots - Harvard University on edX - December 5
- Poetry in America: Emily Dickinson - Harvard University on edX - December 6 (6 weeks)
- How to Write an Essay - University of California, Berkeley on edX - December 7 (5 weeks)
- Shakespeare Matters - University of Adelaide on edX - December 14
- Ancient Philosophy: Plato & His Predecessors - University of Pennsylvania on Coursera - December 18 (4 weeks)
Here's one tip to keep in mind: If you want to take a course for free, select the "Full Course, No Certificate" or "Audit" option when you enroll. If you would like an official certificate documenting that you have successfully completed the course, you will need to pay a fee.
If you'd like to support Open Culture and our mission, please consider making a donation to our site. It's hard to rely 100% on ads, and your contributions will help us provide the best free cultural and educational materials.