How to Download Bob Woodward’s Fear: Trump in the White House as a Free Audiobook

Bob Woodward made his career by breaking the Watergate story that led to the demise of the Nixon presidency in 1974--a process that Woodward and Carl Bernstein documented in their now classic work, All the President's Men. Since the 70s, Woodward has covered every American president, writing lengthy volumes that have offered an unusual glimpse inside the Clinton, Bush and Obama administrations. Now, in his latest book, he tackles the chaotic Trump White House. Based on more than 100 interviews with Trump administration officials and staffers, Fear: Trump in the White House lets us see, no matter how harrowing it might be, how politics gets done in this unusually volatile Oval Office.

Starting today, you can purchase a print edition of Woodward's book for $19.50 in hard copy, or $14.99 in Kindle format. Or, alternatively, you can get it as a free audiobook. Here's one viable way to do it: If you start a 30 day free trial with Audible.com, you can download two free audio books of your choice. At the end of 30 days, you can decide whether you want to become an Audible subscriber or not. No matter what you decide, you get to keep the two free audiobooks. Fear: Trump in the White House can be one of them. It runs 12 hours.

To sign up for Audible's free trial program, follow the prompts/instructions on this page.

Also, if you want to learn how Woodward goes about investigating his stories, see his recent online course on Investigative Journalism, offered through MasterClass.

NB: Audible is an Amazon.com subsidiary, and we're a member of their affiliate program.

Bob Woodward Is Now Teaching an Online Course on Investigative Journalism–a Course for Our Time

Watch Harry Shearer’s Faithful Recreation of Nixon’s Resignation

Bob Woodward: How Investigative Journalism Gets Done

Support Open Culture

We're hoping to rely on our loyal readers rather than erratic ads. To support Open Culture's continued operation, please consider making a donation. We thank you!

• Karl Reitmann says:

But why would anyone waste their precious time on anything written, pro or contra, about Trump?
    Read Tolstoy, Turgeniev, Zola, Thomas Mann, Cervantes, etc. etc. etc. , or even Dan Brown, instead. Listen to Bach, Bruckner, Bartok, Xenakis, etc. etc. etc. , or even Lady Gaga, instead. Let’s don’t get caught up in momentary trivialities.

• Thomas B says:

@ Karl Reitmann – Thank you for your fake review.

• anon says:

amazon is bad for independent book publishers and their workers

you should know this and you should not support them

• Clandestine Bookworm says:

Oh, I see, you are shilling for Amazon being affiliates.

• Margo says:

Dan Brown? Really? And it’s Turgenev.
    100 to 1 you haven’t read any of those.

• Blake says:

We don’t need to read anything, we already know Drumpf is a psycho case, the likes of which we have never seen. The only problem is how to get rid of him before he does any more damage to the US by alienating close allies and friends like Canada by imposing ridiculous duties under an act that doesn’t even apply.

• Karl Reitmann says:

Margo, I’ve read them all. Zola’s novels in French, to boot. Don Quixote 3 times, last time in Spanish. I’m a dinosaur, I love reading. As for the spelling of Turgeniev, mine is closer to the original Russian.

• Miklós Kálló says:

Making people consider reading/listening to books is generally a good idea so why attack it? If a free Woodward book is a good bait for some people (it is for me), then why not? The book’s value isn’t determined by Trump’s personality or his being (poor) fit for president, rather by Woodward’s work and that’s not that easy to dismiss.
    Otherwise you are giving bad advice: books of Tolstoy, Turgenev, Zola are available on Project Gutenberg for free… so you’re wasting people’s money.
    Finally: you may prefer Dan Brown to Woodward but that may not sell as sound advice (at least you paralleled him with Lady Gaga…). I think condemning politics related books/investigative journalism as a genre and saying even low quality fiction is superior than a quality work from the former category is way too general statement for my taste.

• Donna says:

We need to do the best we can to educate ourselves on Trump by such a honest, accurate, intelligent journalist. The information given to us by this author of such intergrity is information needed to make ourselves more aware of what is happening. Hopefully learning more will decrease future votes. End the madness of people just not getting it and that this can’t continue. Read this book and learn facts instead of listing to Trumps fiction.

• Clare says:

I just now started an Audible account thru my Amazon.com.

I also tested the Kindle option.

It appears that the free books are also available in Kindle format.

Is this reliable?

There appears to be no additional charge (processing of payment).

Befuddled.

• Jrb says:

Right.. listen to this guy, me thinks he has cards he isn’t showing, or just plain dumb, going through life with you head up your, errrr, in the kitty litter box isn’t anyway to go through life. Just because you get used to the smell, doesn’t mean it doesn’t smell,

Read Tolstoy? LMAO

I might remind other readers this.

“Nice people made the best Nazis. My mom grew up next to them. They got along, refused to make waves, looked the other way when things got ugly and focused on happier things than “politics.” They were lovely people who turned their heads as their neighbors were dragged away. You know who weren’t nice people? Resisters.”…….Naomi Shulman

Yes, so read a good book, Mein Kampf , go to a Wagner opera, leave the thinking to someone else.

• Nancy Black says:

While I agree with you to a large extent, and I do read and listen to most of the people you mentioned, I feel that my reading of this book opened my mind to a world that I only knew about in the abstract.

While the interactions of the people in Trump’s world are very interesting,and even astounding, the main fact that I am taking away, so far, is that China manufactures 96% of the world penicillin, and a break with China would mean a lot of misery for Americans.

Apparently, there is no money in making these older drugs. There should be a way for the US to support the manufacture of these types of things. Take it away from China, create jobs for our citizens and make this issue of safety and security.
    Surely there are other things like this, but there were no results from a Google search.

At any rate, I am glad I read this book.