What cultural goodies did we tweet (and re-tweet) on our Twitter stream in recent days? Here are the highlights. Follow us on Twitter at @openculture to get the rest, or Like us on Facebook. We’ll keep you plugged into quality culture every day.
- Haruki Murakami’s New Story, “Town of Cats.” Published in last week’s New Yorker.
- 10 Things Henri Cartier-Bresson Can Teach You About Street Photography. Here it goes.
- Paul Simon Performs ‘Sound of Silence.’ A somber and fitting performance at the 9/11 Memorial.
- Read J.D. Salinger’s Words Before They Disappear. Backstory here. Actual Salinger letter here.
- Listen to a Free Audiobook of The 9/11 Commission Report. Plus other related materials. Audio.
- Agatha Christie and Her Surf Board, 1922. Groovy photo.
- Understanding Dostoyevsky Courtesy of Woody Allen: It’s all about existentialism.
- Hubble Captures Time-Lapse Videos Of Stars Being Born. Mind-blowing NASA video.
- Stream Music Courtesy of the David Lynch Foundation. Listen to original music by Alanis Morissette, Tom Waits, Dave Stewart, etc.
- Joan Didion’s “Some Dreamers of the Golden Dream.” Now online.
- Salvador Dali’s Vogue Covers. Produced mostly in the 1930s and 40s.
- Jonathan Lethem Introduces Lost Rolling Stone Interview with Clint Eastwood. Read it here.
- Ernest Hemingway’s Early Life in Letters. Vintage photos.
- Photo of Katharine Hepburn after the Hurricane of 1938. Click images to enlarge.
- Frank Zappa Speaks Out for Dental Hygiene. A humorous public service announcement circa 1981.
- Louis CK Pays Tribute to George Carlin at The New York Public Library. A little NSFW, of course!
- Malcolm Gladwell: How Different are Dogfighting and Football? His latest in The New Yorker. Text.
- Letter of Recommendation Written for 16 Year Old Orson Welles. “He’s talented to the point of genius.”
- Hannah Arendt’s Challenge to Adolf Eichmann. Judith Butler writes in The Guardian.
- The Best Muppet Show Beatles Covers. Fun.
- Amazing Shot of the Surface of Mars. Captured by the Rover Opportunity on Aug 9.
- 30 Amazing Stanley Kubrick Cinemagraphs. Photos.
- Leonardo Mural in Florence, a Lost Masterpiece, May Soon Be Revealed. The story
- Space Oddity, A Children’s Book Inspired By David Bowie’s Classic Song. Image collection here.
- Steven Soderbergh to Leave Hollywood. Confirms plans to become a painter.
- A History of Ireland in 100 Objects. Starts with Mesolithic Fish Trap, ca. 5000BC
Sources: @matthiasrascher, @kottke, @coudal, @craigmod, @thebookslut, @thedailyMUBI, @brainpicker, @Criterion, @ebertchicago
Leave a Reply