In the immediate aftermath of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, when New York and much of the world were still in a state of shock, a group of top-flight actors, directors and other creative workers donated their time and talents for a special project to lure tourists back to the Big Apple. The “New York Miracle” ads were unveiled only two months after the tragedy, and featured stars like Robert DeNiro, Woody Allen, Ben Stiller and Billy Crystal. The commercials were as much a boost to the city’s morale as they were an invitation to tourists. At the end of each segment, Mayor Rudy Giuliani intones: “The New York Miracle. Be a part of it.”
The video above offers a look back at all nine ads. They appear in the following order:
- “Deli,” starring Ben Stiller and Kevin Bacon.
- “Turkey,” starring Robert DeNiro and Billy Crystal; directed by Barry Levinson.
- “Theatre,” starring Barbara Walters; directed by Bryan Buckley.
- “Skating,” starring Woody Allen; directed by Joe Pytka.
- “Yankee Stadium,” starring Henry Kissinger; directed by Joe Pytka.
- “Philharmonic,” starring Yogi Berra; directed by Joe Pytka.
- “New York Giants Kicker,” starring Vanessa Williams.
- “Marathon,” starring Al Roker.
- “Santa,” starring Christopher Walken.