How about some hors d’oeuvres meant to accompany the main course, the 2014 Academy Awards? We scouted around the web and found 36 Oscar-winning (or nominated) films from previous years. The list includes many short films, but also some long ones, like Sergei Bondarchuk’s epic version of War & Peace. Sit back, enjoy, and let us know if we’re missing any other Oscar winners…
Find more films in our collection of 700 Free Movies Online.
- A Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass Double Feature – Free – A precursor to modern music videos, this Oscar-winning animated film by John & Faith Hubley is set to the music of two popular songs recorded by Herb Alpert. (1966)
- A Story of Healing – Free – Won Academy Award for best Documentary Short Subject. Follows a team of volunteers in Vietnam. (1997)
- Churchill’s Island – Free – WWII propaganda film chronicling the defense of Great Britain. Won the very first Academy Award for Documentary Short Subject. (1941)
- Der Fuehrer’s Face – Free – Disney’s anti-Nazi propaganda movie featuring Donald Duck. Won the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film. (1942)
- Every Child – Free – Eugene Fedorenko’s animated short about an unwanted baby cared for by a homeless men. Won 1979 Oscar for Best Animated Short Film.
- Father and Daughter – Free – Michaël Dudok De Wit’s heartbreaking short won the 2000 Academy Award for Animated Short Film. (2000)
- Flamenco at 5:15 – Free – Oscar-winning short film about a flamenco dance class given to senior students. (1983)
- Franz Kafka’s It’s a Wonderful Life – Free – Directed by Peter Capaldi, the Oscar-winning short film shows Kafka, on Christmas Eve, struggling to come up with the opening line for his most famous work, The Metamorphosis. (1993)
- Glass – Free – Directed by Bert Haanstra, this short documentary about the glass industry won the Academy Award for Documentary Short Subject in 1959. (1958)
- Granny O’Grimm’s Sleeping Beauty– Free – 6 minute animated black comedy. Shortlisted for the 2010 Oscar for Best Animated Short Film. (2008)
- Logorama – Free – François Alaux and Herve de Crecy’s 17 minute film, Logorama, won the Oscar for Short Film (Animated) in 2009.
- If You Love This Planet – Free – Oscar-winning short film on the need for nuclear disarmament. (1982)
- I’ll Find a Way – Free – Oscar-winning documentary presents Nadia, a 9-year-old girl with spina bifida. (1977)
- Is It Right to Be Always Right? – Free – Narrated by Orson Welles, this Oscar-winning film directed by Lee Mishkin is a parable that comments on divisions in the United States. (1970)
- J’attendrai le suivant – Free – A French film nominated for an Academy Award for the Best Short Film in 2002.
- Madame Tutli-Putli – Free – Oscar-nominated animated short film by Montreal filmmakers Chris Lavis and Maciek Szczerbowski. (2010)
- Neighbors – Free – Norman McLaren animates live actors with techniques normally used to put drawings/puppets into motion. Oscar winner. (1952)
- Ryan – Free – Oscar-winning animated short from Chris Landreth based on the life of Ryan Larkin, the influential Canadian animator. (2004)
- Special Delivery – Free – Hilarious story won 1978 Oscar for Best Animated Short Film.
- Superman – Free – Max Fleischer’s short animated movie. Nominated for the 1942 Academy Award for Best Short Subject: Cartoons. (1941)
- The Cathedral – Free – “The Cathedral” is the title of a sci fi short story by Jacek Dukaj. It was turned into a short animated movie by Tomasz Bagiński and nominated in 2002 for the Academy Award for Animated Short Film. (2002)
- The Critic – Free – Mel Brooks 1963 animation features an old Yiddish watching abstract animations. Hilarious film won Oscar. (1963)
- The Danish Poet – Free – Animated short film written, directed, and animated by Torill Kove and narrated by Liv Ullmann, won the Academy Award in 2006.
- The Dot and the Line – Free – Chuck Jones’ animated film celebrates geometry and hard work. (1965)
- The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore – Free – Oscar-winning film by Moonbot Studios pays homage to a bygone era when elegantly printed books inhabited our world. (2011)
- The Hole – Free – A 15-minute animated film by John Hubley and Faith Hubley that won an Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film in 1962. Features the voice of Dizzy Gillespie. (1962)
- The Last Farm – Free – Short Icelandic film nominated for Oscar in 2006.
- The Lunch Date – Free – Adam Davidson’s commentary on race in America. The short film won an Oscar and a prize at Cannes. (1989)
- The Man with the The Golden Arm – Free — Directed by Otto Preminger. Starring Frank Sinatra and Kim Novak. Nominated for three Academy Awards. (1955)
- The Old Man and the Sea – Free – Aleksandr Petrov won the Academy Award for Short Film for this film that follows the plot of Ernest Hemingway’s classic 1952 novella. Made of 29,000 images painted on glass. (1999)
- The Red Balloon – Free – A short fantasy film directed by French filmmaker Albert Lamorisse. Won Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay and a Palme d’Or for Best Short Film at the Cannes Film Festival in 1956.
- The Sand Castle – Free – Short animated film about the sandman and the creatures he sculpts out of sand. 1977 Oscar-winner for Best Animated Short Film.
- Tin Toy – Free – John Lasseter created this Oscar-winning short film in 1988 at Pixar. It was the beginning of the company’s transition into being a premier animation studio.
- Toot, Whistle, Plunk and Boom – Free – Disney’s music education film. First cartoon released in widescreen CinemaScope. Won 1954 Academy Award for Best Short Subject (Cartoons). (1953)
- Walking – Free – Oscar-nominated animated short film by Ryan Larkin. (1969)
- War & Peace – Free – Soviet director Sergei Bondarchuk turns Tolstoy’s great novel into what Roger Ebert calls “the definitive epic of all time.” Won Academy Award – Best Foreign Language Film in 1969. (1965-1967)
- Why Man Creates – Free – Saul Bass’ Oscar-winning animation on the nature of creativity. (1963)
21 Free Hitchcock Movies Online
Tarkovsky Films Now Free Online
The 10 Greatest Films of All Time According to 846 Film Critics
…and Rain Man at http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=w6treaJ50Aw#! > will make 30. Won 4 Oscars in 1988, including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor.
Amazing resource! Thank you.
Just awesome collection…and thanks a lot for the source as well…I love animation movies like anything……
Please add to the collection this film:
It’s ‘The Cathedral’ by Tomek Bagiński from Poland, language independent short animation, nominated for an Oscar in 2003. Bagiński’s studio Platige Image now makes animations like e.g. ‘The Witcher’ game trailer.
Thank you in advance.
I am grateful for the quality and diversity that is presented. I have been deeply moved by the content of the short films I have viewed.
The link to A Story of Healing is broken.
thank u for such a beautiful collection of films
many links are broken. I think that not even half of all the “free” movies you list can be seen :-( a bit of a waste of time
Thanks a lot! I love animation. Old films much better… Beautiful old black and white films. Much better than moderm 3D junk
My first short film called The American Dream enjoy!!! Please share Watch “The American Dream” on YouTube
We’ve a great adventure novel ‘The Mountain On The Moon’ written by Bivutibhusan Bandyopadhaya. A tollywood film is already has the greatest success on it ever.I wish a hollywood should be made on this story. Pls send my message to Mr. Stephen Speilberg.
nice list! but any site for watching recommended? i want to download these videos with wonderfox hd video converter foactory pro to watch movies on subway. any help? thanks.
Does this mean these movies are copyright free?