Learn Italian for free online. Download free audio lessons to your computer or mp3 player and start learning Italian instantly. To learn more languages, please visit our complete collection of Free Language Lessons.
- Talk Italian – Web Site
- A lively introduction to Italian presented by the BBC.
- BBC Italianissimo – Web Site – YouTube
- Italianissimo was a TV series to learn Italian first broadcast in 1992 and repeated regularly over the next 10 years. You can watch the videos online.
- Italian Language and Culture: Beginner – Massive Open Online Course (MOOC)
- In this language course from Wellesley College, you will learn the four basic skills (speaking, listening, reading and writing) in the context of major themes in Italian culture. By the end of the course you will be able to describe people, events and situations, both in the present and the past, and you will have acquired the necessary vocabulary to communicate about everyday situations.
- Italian Language and Culture: Intermediate – Massive Open Online Course (MOOC)
- In this language course from Wellesley College, you will enhance your Italian language skills, enrich your vocabulary and expand your conversational skills. You will learn how to have exchanges on a variety of topics, and continue your immersion in the Italian culture through unique videos and interviews. You will also become more confident as you continue practicing your reading and writing skills.
- Italian Language and Culture: Advanced – Massive Open Online Course (MOOC)
- Learn how to perfect your skills in Italian (speaking, listening, reading and writing), and by the end of this course you will be able to express opinions and hypotheses, and sustain an argument using a variety of registers. You will also expand your vocabulary to include topics beyond everyday conversation. This course is from Wellesley College.
- Duolingo Italian – Web Site
- A popular free language-learning and crowdsourced text translation platform. As users progress through lessons, they simultaneously help to translate websites and other documents.
- Foreign Service Institute Italian Head Start – Web site
- Textbook, glossary, culture notes (PDF) and 21 audio lessons (MP3).
- Foreign Service Institute Italian Fast Course – Web site
- Includes a textbook (PDF) and 30 audio lessons (MP3).
- Foreign Service Institute Italian Programmed Course – Web site
- Textbook and instructor’s manual (PDF) and 24 audio lessons (MP3).
- Introduction to Italian – Massive Open Online Course (MOOC)
- Learn basic Italian and explore Italian culture, with this free online Italian course from Università per Stranieri di Siena.
- Let’s Speak Italian – iTunes Free – Feed
- This collection will help you learn Italian in small, manageable 5-minute bites.
- Speak Italian with Your Mouth Full – Web site
- MIT instructor Dr. Paola Rebusco uses cooking to help her students learn to speak Italian.
To learn more languages, please visit our collection: Learn Languages for Free: Spanish, English, Chinese & Beyond.
We’re hoping to rely on our loyal readers rather than erratic ads. To support Open Culture’s educational mission, please consider making a donation. We accept PayPal, Venmo (@openculture), Patreon and Crypto! Please find all options here. We thank you!