Thanks to two new courses from Master Class, you can now learn to play guitar from Carlos Santana and Rage Against the Machine’s Tom Morello. Launched yesterday, Santana’s Master Class on the Art and Soul of Guitar “breaks down his creative process and teaches you his spiritual take on making music,” covering:
- How to pull from multiple musical styles and influences.
- How to break down music you hear and use it to improve how you play.
- Ideas for exercises in the styles of great blues musicians.
- How he marries harmonies with rhythmic accents.
- His approach to writing a melody for guitar.
- How he creates dialogue between guitar parts when he writes songs.
- Guidance for leading a band and building trust with band members.
For his part, Tom Morello’s course on the electric guitar will teach you, in 26 video lessons, the riffs, rhythms, and solos that launched his career. The course covers everything from beginner music theory, to learning how to improvise, solo and play with speed, to developing an appreciation for lyrics and melody. Each course costs $90. For $180, you can get an annual pass to the 45 courses in Masterclass’ course catalogue.
FYI: If you sign up for a MasterClass course by clicking on the affiliate links in this post, Open Culture will receive a small fee that helps support our operation.
Guitar Stories: Mark Knopfler on the Six Guitars That Shaped His Career
David Gilmour Talks About the Mysteries of His Famous Guitar Tone
A Brief History of Guitar Distortion: From Early Experiments to Happy Accidents to Classic Effects Pedals
Two Guitar Effects That Revolutionized Rock: The Invention of the Wah-Wah & Fuzz Pedals
The Encyclopedia Of Alternate Guitar Tunings
Leave a Reply