Steve Martin Writes Song for Hymn-Deprived Atheists

in Music, Religion | March 28th, 2011

Brilliant comedian. Playwright. Contributor to The New Yorker. And now songwriter for hymn-deprived atheists. Steve Martin – who comes into focus within 10 seconds – performs here with the Steep Canyon Rangers at Merlefest 2010…

You can find an alternate/more polished version recorded on the David Letterman Show here

Follow Open Culture on Facebook and Twitter and share intelligent media with your friends. Or better yet, sign up for our daily email and get a daily dose of Open Culture in your inbox. And if you want to make sure that our posts definitely appear in your Facebook newsfeed, just follow these simple steps.

by | Make a Comment (30)

1. Lesley Lloyd says . . .
    January 7, 2013 / 6:52 pm

Love it …

2. Karen Clayton says . . .
    September 14, 2013 / 5:09 pm

Too funny!

3. babysoft says . . .
    September 16, 2013 / 9:09 am

Steve Martin is sooooo talented.

4. Moses Kimani says . . .
    September 18, 2013 / 1:04 am

That just cracked me up!!!

5. Mark says . . .
    September 19, 2013 / 11:46 am

Atheists don’t have no songs but sing the blues, could be it’s because they know better than anyone that they are missing out on the best thing that they could ever have, Jesus, He is Risen, He is Alive!

6. Mark says . . .
    September 19, 2013 / 11:46 am

7. Jesus is a zombie says . . .
    September 19, 2013 / 1:00 pm

Ummm, missing out on what….. I get to see and hear about as many zombies as I can handle on the TV and movies

8. Joy says . . .
    September 19, 2013 / 1:16 pm

Sorry I am not missing out on anything. You can keep your imaginary friend.

9. Me says . . .
    September 19, 2013 / 1:47 pm

children…the beauty of this is that Mr. Martin teaches all of us that we are to laughnUNITE takes allowing each other be ourselves and know we are One nnI still have tears in my eyes from laughing.. join me!

10. Rana Pippins says . . .
    September 23, 2013 / 6:30 pm

Not imaginary. Born of a virgin, crucified for your and my sin, rose from the dead, and is coming back, probably in our lifetime. Every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

11. boboskiwatten says . . .
    September 26, 2013 / 12:25 pm

not sure if troll

12. Chris Douglas says . . .
    September 19, 2013 / 12:45 pm

all’s good

13. Kayleigh says . . .
    September 19, 2013 / 12:50 pm

I’m an atheist and I love this song. Thank you Steve Martin! I cracked up.

14. Carolcarp says . . .
    September 24, 2013 / 8:28 pm

I’m a Christian, and I think this is hilarious!

15. Bruce says . . .
    September 25, 2013 / 3:25 pm

AWESOME! Someone ought to write a song about the Higgs Boson. That’s about as close as we’ll get — for THIS universe anyway.

16. Stephen Archer says . . .
    September 26, 2013 / 7:19 am

No such thing as an atheist.

17. Steelwheels says . . .
    September 26, 2013 / 9:00 am

I wonder which of the four main atheist denominations will pick this up?

18. CrouchingBruin says . . .
    October 10, 2013 / 4:05 pm

Interestingly, if you go to a Jodo Shinshu Buddhist temple here in the United States, you’ll find that they sing “hymnals” which are (erroneously) referred to as gathas. Most of the time, the gathas are accompanied by an organ (or a piano, depending upon the temple). These hymnals aren’t sung at the temples in Japan, and came about as an attempt to “Americanize” the temple service, making them similar to the Protestant Christian service that were familiar to many Americans back in the 1920’s.

19. myri says . . .
    February 24, 2014 / 9:47 pm

Mark I am very happy and sing a happy tune everyday because I am free from lies and control. I value freedom over some mind controlling dogma.

20. Anthony Edwards says . . .
    March 14, 2014 / 3:48 pm

This song was respectful, and true. As for “atheists singing the blues because they secretly know”… whatever helps you sleep at night. The blues are the best music, followed by rock n’ roll, and both were accused of being unholy or satanic. I think that was the point of saying Atheists ‘have rock n’ roll’ and so on. “He is risen” was reference to the hymn, it was not intended as a jab toward Atheists. Anyway, what a great song. Makes me want to pick up my banjo… and… learn how to play. Thanks Steve!

21. Natalia Ely says . . .
    March 21, 2014 / 2:50 pm

There’s a lovely atheist hymn in the first cartoon version of Charlotte’s Web. Charlotte the spider sings it, if memory serves.

22. Marlene says . . .
    June 16, 2014 / 6:47 pm

Sorry, I don’t believe there was anything in that song that would lead an atheist to The Lord or anybody for that matter, If a lost person hears something like that they would turn more from God than towards him and that’s sad!

23. RealMcCoy says . . .
    July 14, 2015 / 3:13 am

I’m sorry that you have no sense of humor. Sucks to be you, I guess.

24. Chris Bell says . . .
    July 21, 2015 / 7:42 am

To which I reply – show me.

My challenge – I will speak to you, and to the local Hindu religious functionary from the local temple in Queens. Show me objective, testable evidence of your deity’s existence that can be reproduced by other people. I’ll speak to both Jesus and Ganesh, with one rule – no 3rd parties allowed. No humans, books or prophets. As the one testing, *I* determine the standards.

Certainly, an all powerful deity can spare me 5 minutes.

I’m waiting.

25. mary says . . .
    July 22, 2015 / 12:04 pm

Thanks, Steve!!! The music is the only thing I miss about religion!

26. Patrick says . . .
    July 22, 2015 / 1:36 pm

At least an atheist you can see, touch, talk to. There is actual evidence they exist.

27. Patrick says . . .
    July 22, 2015 / 1:38 pm

(that was in reference to Stephen Archer saying “No such thing as an atheist.”)

28. Chris Gibbs says . . .
    July 23, 2015 / 11:08 am

I always said, back when I was a Christian, that the most fun you could have in church, indeed the only fun, was singing.

29. WOB says . . .
    February 20, 2016 / 5:39 pm

Thousands of songs and hymns written about God and Jesus worldwide over the centuries …. one atheist’s song. Imaginary friend?? LOL…..

30. NoGod4Me says . . .
    March 4, 2016 / 8:29 pm

Frank Turner’s got a great one, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbUCzUk84fE