Below, you’ll find a list of 25 fine cinema/film blogs, all for the cinema buff.
This list figures into a larger collection of Culture Blogs that we’re putting together over time. It’s a work in progress, so watch it grow. If you feel that we’re missing some extraordinary blogs, please feel free to ma**@oc******.com/">email us and let us know.
- Alternative Film Guide: A nice resource for anyone who wants to go beyond mainstream movies.
- Cahiers du cinéma: This is not exactly a blog. Rather it’s the site for the very influential French film magazine founded in 1951. If you read French, definitely give it a look.
- Cinecultist: This cinema blog comes straight to you from the East Village in NYC, and it’s put together mainly by Karen Wilson, a freelance writer and editor with a film background.
- Cinema Minima: A news blog for movie makers that digests information about movie making, acting, distribution, and film festivals.
- Cinema Strikes Back: The site covers movies worldwide with news, reviews, interviews and film festival reports. It also offers advanced looks at upcoming movies and DVDs. Has a particular focus on genre, cult and foreign films.
- Cinemarati: Created by the The Web Alliance for Film Commentary, this blog brings together online film critics for serious, and seriously fun, discussion about film, and also counters the notion that “anyone with a modem can be a critic.”
- Cinematical: Part of the Weblogs, Inc. network, Cinematical keeps tabs on what’s new in film.
- Clip Joint: Put out by the Guardian, this blog presents a roundup of top cinema-related clips on the internet.
- Cynthia Rockwell’s Waiting Room: A site that you’ll find listed on many A-list film blogs.
- Dave Kehr.com: When not blogging, Dave writes “Critic’s Choice: New DVDs,” a
column that appears in The New York Times and is archived here.
- Deadline Hollywood Daily: Published by LA Weekly, this blog is written by journalist Nikki Finke, who writes about the business, politics and culture of the infotainment industry.
- Drifting: David Lowery discourses here on film, at least most of the time.
- Film Experience Blog: What you get here are cinematic musings from Nathaniel R with frequent dips into pop culture miscellania.
- Flickhead: Keeping it reel!
- Green Cine Daily: GreenCine Daily is primarily written by GC Editor David Hudson. A nice comprehensive blog.
- Hell on Frisco Bay: The journal of a cinephile haunting the remaining movie houses of the San Francisco Bay Area.
- If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger: Cultural observations by Tom Sutpen, Stephen Cooke and Richard Gibson.
- Like Anna Karina’s Sweater: A film and culture blog with a focus on non-mainstream topics, written by a professional screenwriter and a part-time misanthrope.
- Lost in Negative Space: For provocative film criticism with an underdog bite. Written by Peter Gelderblom.
- Masters of Cinema: Five bloggers from three different
countries bring pertinent information together in one place
for aficionados of World Cinema.
- Movie City Indie: Independent movies, independent thinking by Ray Pride.
- Not Coming to a Theater Near You: A site with a bias towards older, often unpopular, and sometimes unknown films that merit a second look.
- Notes from the Underdog: On writing, screenwriting, films, music, and the political landscape.
- Scanners: A film blog written by Jim Emerson, a Seattle-based writer and film critic, who is also the founding editor-in-chief of RogerEbert.com.
- Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule: Hard to summarize this one (as the title kind of demonstrates). Better just to see it instead.