Open Culture is looking for a freelance writer to cover all things cultural and help bring more intelligent media to our global audience. Here is an overview of what we have in mind.
- The writer will contribute 3-5 posts per week on a very reliable schedule and will receive compensation for each post. Days will be mutually agreed upon in advance.
- The posts should be written in a clear, concise and engaging way. And the copy must be clean, and the facts, checked.
- The candidate should have a lot of cultural depth/range, strong writing skills, ideally a track record writing online, and a good understanding of what our mission is all about. Hopefully you’re already a fan of the site.
- Picking topics that mesh with our site is really important. Please read the tips on this page.
In terms of next steps, it would be great if you could please submit the following (and put “Culture Writer” in the header) by Friday May 18th:
1) A short paragraph about your background and interests and how they align with Open Culture’s mission.
2) A writing sample and preferably links to sample pieces online.
3) A list of three sample ideas/topics that you would cover in your posts, with a brief description explaining why. Before you get started you might want to refer to the tips on this page.
This will help us get oriented, and we will follow up with a phone call if things feel on target.
Thanks for your interest, and please let me know if you have any questions.
We’re hoping to rely on our loyal readers rather than erratic ads. To support Open Culture’s educational mission, please consider making a donation. We accept PayPal, Venmo (@openculture), Patreon and Crypto! Please find all options here. We thank you!