Mahatma Gandhi Talks (in First Recorded Video)

This vintage clip brings you the first recorded video (with sound) of Mahatma Gandhi, who led India’s nonviolent resistance movement against British colonial rule. Shot some time before 1947 (when independence finally came), the video runs a mere four minutes. But it’s enough to show you the serene and fearless determination that made Gandhi such a forceful figure, and inspired Martin Luther King Jr. to end segregation in America a few years later. Great find by @Hudsonette

Share on TwitterShare via emailShare on LinkedInShare on TumblrSubmit to StumbleUponDigg ThisSubmit to reddit

1. Mr Mel says . . . | July 5, 2010 / 5:30 am

Amazing piece of world history.

2. Varun says . . . | July 8, 2010 / 6:23 am

Thank you Dan – after that piece on TIME (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1999416,00.html) – I really needed to know that I wasnt part of a culture that everybody likes to mock :)

/\ \/

3. Janak says . . . | October 21, 2010 / 4:47 am

I didn’t know Martin Luther was inspired by Mahatma Gandhi

Anyways, thanks so much for the video.

4. Fernando1958 says . . . | December 4, 2010 / 9:29 pm

thanks to Alyssa Milano for tweeting about this site.
    Gandhi is my model in life. MLK my second. I wonder when the 3rd person with the same passion will be born?

5. Carmen says . . . | February 5, 2011 / 9:33 pm

As I sit here, watching Gandhi on Tv, it touches my heart as deeply as it first did when I first saw it many years ago. Thank you for this amazing footage.

6. Daniel says . . . | February 1, 2012 / 9:15 pm

Can anyone tell what he’s saying at 1:29?

7. Felix says . . . | February 2, 2012 / 4:14 am

“some time before 1947″ … probably jut before September 1931 (given the reference to the upcoming “Second Round Table Conference”)

8. kishana jee says . . . | April 17, 2012 / 10:50 am

महात्मा गांधी वैसे तो स्वदेशी की बात करते थे लेकिन आजादी के बाद भी नंपुसक की भाँति जिये और मुस्लिम तुष्टीकरण करते रहे क्या ये महात्मा के लक्षण है

9. shiva, rajdeep and samreen says . . . | April 30, 2012 / 7:31 am

today i am very happy on listening live talk of mahatma gandhi. today, i can say that he was very optimistic and very intelligent at the same time. may god bless him with peace. bharat mata ki jai. vande mataram.

10. the author says . . . | October 12, 2012 / 11:57 pm

Thanks , I’ve recently been looking for information approximately this subject for a while and yours is the best I’ve came upon so far.
    However, what about the conclusion? Are
    you positive concerning the supply?

11. lotus says . . . | August 7, 2013 / 11:14 pm

“of course civil disobedience, and all other phases of the tabra are always at our disposal but whether we shall resolve to this weapon immediately or what other steps we shall take I cannot judge at the moment”.