Developing Apps for iPhone & iPad: A Free Stanford Course

Looking to design apps for the iPhone or iPad? Stanford University now has a course online that will help you do just that.

Simply called Developing Apps for iOS, the course features 20 video lectures (the last installment was uploaded just this week) and, somewhat fittingly, they’re all available on Apple’s iTunesU.

Paul Hegarty teaches the course, and he assumes that you have experience programming in C, and some familiarity with UNIX, object-oriented programming and graphical toolkits.

You can find Developing Apps for iOS in the Computer Science section of our big collection of Free Online Courses, along with two previous Stanford app development courses, both called iPhone Application Development.

1. David Wees says . . . | November 27, 2010 / 6:33 am

So awesome, thanks for sharing this. I find I share every blog post you write on Twitter. Keep this stuff coming, it is very useful.

Thanks!

2. Dan Colman says . . . | November 27, 2010 / 11:11 am

David, Thanks for the kind words. Really appreciate it!

Cheers
    Dan

3. Shofiquezzaman says . . . | November 27, 2010 / 10:44 pm

I am interesetd about the IPod for known the technology which in the craze on the Recently World??!

4. Morné says . . . | November 28, 2010 / 9:52 pm

and the costs?

5. Socketwiz says . . . | November 29, 2010 / 5:03 am

Morné, the cost is described in the title of this article.

6. Dulk says . . . | November 29, 2010 / 5:56 am

Your post and work inspires me to get familiar with programming in C !
    Thanks for making the world run better :)

7. Dan Colman says . . . | November 29, 2010 / 1:36 pm

Yes, it is indeed free.

Cheers,
    Dan

8. JR Moreau says . . . | November 29, 2010 / 10:31 pm

I am so excited to check this out. Always wanted to toy around with some iPhone and iPad code. Let the games begin! Interested to see if Stanford or someone annotates these Youtube videos. Either way, it’s still awesome.

9. Danny Nigro says . . . | December 1, 2010 / 7:31 am

Thanks for the posts, Dan. Quick question. Any student developers at Stanford looking for freelance work? We’re in dire need for some good development work on our app “Inflict Training.” Let me know when you get a chance. Thanks again!

10. Janine says . . . | December 7, 2010 / 8:41 am

This is awesome, but for those of you who would like an instructor. New Jersey Institute of Technology offers a very good online iPhone & iPad App Development training course. It is fully online and instructor-led. In addition to that they are offering a Android OS Application Development course too. This is also fully online and instructor led.

11. Amanda Patrick says . . . | December 9, 2010 / 8:34 pm

Thank you, this is useful information for understanding technology. This course will definitely come in handy to use the ipad features.

12. Nancy says . . . | July 27, 2011 / 2:10 am

If such apps can compitable with windows OS, there would be more customers.

13. Charlie Schaub says . . . | September 7, 2011 / 1:03 pm

Great write-up, I’m regular visitor of one’s website, maintain up the nice operate, and It’s going to be a regular visitor for a lengthy time.

14. Jose Quaresma says . . . | November 14, 2011 / 10:02 pm

It seems like the new iteration of the course, updated for iOS 5, is already available on iTunes U: http://itunes.apple.com/dk/itunes-u/ipad-iphone-application-development/id473757255?ls=1

I wrote about it in my blog: http://tech.josequaresma.com/post/12826054746/stanford-course-on-ios-5-development

15. LuciPhone says . . . | January 16, 2012 / 2:26 pm

A developer friend of mine asked me to recommend something for learning how to build iPhone Apps fast and easy so he could put it in practice right away.

So I started poking around and here’s the best you will ever find:

How to Make An iPhonne App is a All-In-One e-book on building Apps from scratch. It was highly recommended by most experienced developers and they even convinced me that I should start reading it too.

Enjoy! :)

16. walter velasquez says . . . | October 23, 2012 / 1:03 pm

es necesarios tener conocimientos profundos de programacion sos estudiante terciario de matematica y me interesaria saber del tema

17. SeanNavarro says . . . | December 10, 2012 / 3:36 am

he operating system that powers Apple’s iPhone and iPad devices, iOS, has proved incredibly popular with developers. A large part of this is almost certainly due to the opportunity that the App Store gives developers to make money, but the great development tools that Apple provide, in the form of XCode and Interface Builder, and also the Objective-C programming language, which iOS developers are required to use, certainly play their part.

18. Waqar Ahmad says . . . | January 3, 2013 / 4:41 am

It is amazing, free tutorials are provided but it should also be for online play.

19. Aparna says . . . | January 18, 2013 / 3:55 pm

This is really fantastic. I found this recently.. Thank you so much for putting up this together.. This is a onestop shop for beginners like me… Thank you

20. Greg says . . . | March 10, 2013 / 10:45 am

Thanks to everyone for the above info, my question is this. Do you have to know how to program in C in order to make an app on all these recommended links above?

21. Greg says . . . | March 10, 2013 / 10:54 am

…except for the info and link that Aneske posted above. I have no experience in C programming but I’d love to write an APP for an idea I have.

22. Dess says . . . | March 15, 2013 / 3:21 pm

I think even Facebook gives the platform to develop applications. But can we do it with a click of few buttons? I think not. But I came across one site claiming to do that. I saw the price and it is a little expensive. Anyways here it is http://dess.me/SkBui

23. Abel Shields says . . . | April 10, 2013 / 1:33 am

Thanks for the post So awesome, thanks for sharing this your post are very use full to me in c Programing and C++ and Unix. I am always wanted to some iPhone and i Pad code. This course is very helpful to come in handy to use the i pad features.

24. Smartjazz says . . . | August 9, 2013 / 3:15 am

Hi there. Really a great post. Please keep sharing like this.

25. Lael says . . . | March 13, 2014 / 7:52 pm

Is it possible to learn from this class as a complete beginner. I want begin to apply all that I have brainstormed into an actual app that will not only work, but be beneficial.