Bela Lugosi Discusses His Drug Habit as He Leaves the Hospital in 1955

In 1955 Bela Lugosi was in a sad state. The once-handsome, Hungarian-born star of Dracula had seen his career degenerate over the previous two decades until at last he was reduced to playing a cruel parody of himself in some of the tackiest B horror films ever made. Along the way he picked up a drug habit. In late April of 1955 the 72-year-old actor, destitute and recently divorced from his fourth wife, checked himself into the psychopathic ward at Los Angeles General Hospital. A few days later, in a hearing held at the ward, Lugosi pleaded with a judge to commit him to a state hospital. A United Press article from April 23, 1955 describes the scene:

Although weighing only 125 pounds and only a shadow of his former self, Lugosi’s voice was clear and resonant as he told the court how shooting pains in his legs led him to start taking morphine injections in 1935. Without morphine, he couldn’t work, Lugosi said.

“I started using it under a doctor’s care,” he said. “I knew after a time it was getting out of control.”

“Seventeen years ago, on a trip to England, I heard of Methodone, a new drug. I brought a big box of it back home. I guess I brought a pound,” Lugosi said.

“Ever since I’ve used that, or demerol. I just took the drugs. I didn’t eat. I got sicker and sicker.”

The judge commended Lugosi for taking action to fight his addiction, and committed him to the Metropolitan State Hospital in Norwalk, a suburb of Los Angeles, for a minimum of three months and a maximum of two years. During his time in the hospital, the old man plotted his comeback. In The Immortal Count: The Life and Films of Bela Lugosi, Arthur Lennig writes:

While at the hospital, Lugosi had been given the script of his next Ed Wood picture, The Ghoul Goes West, a strange concoction in which a mad doctor goes out west to carry out his scheme to make super-creatures out of cowboys and rule the world. The actor looked forward to this forthcoming production, which he believed would begin about ten days after leaving the hospital, and brandished the script as proof that he would start work. “It’s very cute,” he said to the reporters. It probably wasn’t, but Lugosi no doubt believed that all the front page publicity, however notorious, would aid in his comeback, a comeback that would eventually raise him above the lowly ranks of Ed Wood’s shoestring productions. Bela posed for a photograph with the script in one hand while his other hand was dramatically raised in an assertive fist.

The interview above was filmed on August 4, 1955, one day before the actor’s release from the hospital. In the clip, Lugosi smiles and declares himself “a new man.” Less than three weeks later he married his fifth wife, an obsessed fan who reportedly sent him a letter every day he was in the hospital. The Ghoul Goes West never materialized, but Lugosi collaborated with Ed Wood on a couple of other projects, including a movie that some critics would eventually call “the worst film ever made,” Plan 9 From Outer Space. As his hope of a genuine comeback crumbled, Lugosi drank heavily. On August 16, 1956–barely over a year after his release from Metropolitan State Hospital–Lugosi died of a heart attack. He was buried in his Dracula costume.

Several Lugosi films appear on our big list of Free Movies Online.

1. Alex says . . . | January 9, 2013 / 11:57 pm

Drug addiction is the worst..it kills..

2. Linda says . . . | March 23, 2013 / 11:26 am

Really wish things had worked out better for him, that he’d had again the career success he wanted; he deserved more. :(

3. shamrock gamble says . . . | April 16, 2013 / 2:07 pm

Bela was the best at what he do. Nobody plays Dracula better than Bela!!!!!

4. Larry Talbot says . . . | May 21, 2013 / 11:47 am

It is a shame that society dramatized Lagosi. We should let junkies be junkies, booze is what killed the Count , not dope.

5. Bela lugosi says . . . | October 2, 2013 / 6:40 am

I love Bu00e9la no matter what anyone says Bu00e9la was the best Dracula ever I’m 12 and I’m literally addicted to Dracula I keep on getting it out at the library I’m still reading the book on my iPad (it’s free on iBooks) every one thinks I’m weird just because I know a lot about Vlad Tepesh but I can’t help myself Dracula is the best and so is the actor who played

6. Williek says . . . | October 27, 2013 / 6:36 pm

Willie when I was youngster and a Dracula movie came on TV and the star was Bella Lugosi we would all ways say look the real Dracula in on.

7. The Pywackett says . . . | November 2, 2013 / 10:07 am

So does Hoolyweird and it’s lack of compassion.

8. Justin Swartz says . . . | December 23, 2013 / 12:53 pm

Be’la Lugosi was a few generations ahead of his time.nToday him and Charlie Sheen would be Winning

9. William Davidson says . . . | January 17, 2014 / 3:09 pm

When we think of the count we picture Bela Lugosi and the fact that this one character has made him immortal in the eyes of his fans, he deserved better being one of the greatest actors of his genre, he lives forever in the minds of his fans.

10. James ayers says . . . | February 20, 2014 / 8:21 am

He was the best at what he did people should not judge him for his drug habit drug use is a sickness

11. James ayers says . . . | February 20, 2014 / 8:40 am

I’m just saying I know first hand I watched my best friend destroy his life by using strong pain killers and smack and methadone and in the end he died all alone in a empty house all alone of a overdose he lost every thing his wife his cars its not just a habit it’s a sick ness and there is no know care

12. Sandra Pinnel says . . . | March 5, 2014 / 3:24 pm

Bela Lugosi was an extraordinary stage actor prior to his Count Dracula role in 1931 – he was largely unrecognized and unappreciated for the depth and range that he truly possessed. He was grateful for, and appreciated, his American citizenship and valued America’s liberties. Still, he shined in any role and brought dignity and class to the screen anytime he appeared. Women swooned over his Count Dracula role on stage and in movies, as he evoked a kind of sensual charm & savoir faire along with an aristocratic air of dignity. May he rest in peace.

13. Vivian McAlexander says . . . | March 8, 2014 / 11:17 am

Oh my! What an extremely sad and unfortunate ending for one of the greatest actors ever to step on stage or infront of the camera. Bela Lugosi was a beautiful, charming, kind, highly intelligent, hard-working, brave, talented, and ethical man. I grew up watching his movies, and as an adult he is like a dear old friend to me. I too suffer as Bela did with chronic pain as well as addiction to opiate pain meds. The opiates damaged my liver and breathing. Even under a doctor’s care pain meds are very seductive and ease the pain. Later they lose their effectiveness so you want more. I’ve always been against drug abuse, and never intended to be a drug addict. Obviously Bela was no strung-out junkie, and neither was I. It can happen to anyone. I will forever love Bela Lugosi. He was a great man. May Bela be in Heaven with God’s warm and gentle love surrounding him. -Vivian McAlexander

14. charlie says . . . | June 27, 2014 / 4:11 pm

Dear Mr Lugosi, I grew up watching your Dracula character-No one has & no one will hold that candle to your seductive hypnotic interpretation. That sleek hair combed back and that voice/priceless. Hollywood forgot to “thank you” for your entertainment But we the people in America will always see you as the one that hypnotized us.. I have never seen a more fantasy driven moment than when you starred in Abbott & Costello meets Frankenstein.. The scene at the door of the castle when you turn from a bat to human form in my words was undeniable amazing considering the year it was produced and the special effect tech that must’ve been used for that little number..And so you were on drugs and so what.. You had pain killers to correct a personal matter and you became addicted.. you had the instinct to go for help and at 74 you tried your best.. thanks for the memories Mr Lugosi.. I didn’t know that you were buried in your Dracula cape.. You are the Count…