Great Story: How Neil Young Introduced His Classic 1972 Album Harvest to Graham Nash

sample-wars-neil-young

Graham Nash, of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, has a new book out, Wild Tales: A Rock & Roll Life. And that means he’s doing interviews, many interviews. A couple of weeks ago, he spent an excellent hour on The Howard Stern Show (seriously). Next, it was off to chat with the more cerebral Terry Gross on NPR’s Fresh Air. In the midst of the interview (listen online here), Gross asked Nash to talk about his friendship with Neil Young, a man Nash has called “the strangest of my friends.” Just what makes him strange? Nash explains:

The man is totally committed to the muse of music. And he’ll do anything for good music. And sometimes it’s very strange. I was at Neil’s ranch one day just south of San Francisco, and he has a beautiful lake with red-wing blackbirds. And he asked me if I wanted to hear his new album, “Harvest.” And I said sure, let’s go into the studio and listen.

Oh, no. That’s not what Neil had in mind. He said get into the rowboat.

I said get into the rowboat? He said, yeah, we’re going to go out into the middle of the lake. Now, I think he’s got a little cassette player with him or a little, you know, early digital format player. So I’m thinking I’m going to wear headphones and listen in the relative peace in the middle of Neil’s lake.

Oh, no. He has his entire house as the left speaker and his entire barn as the right speaker. And I heard “Harvest” coming out of these two incredibly large loud speakers louder than hell. It was unbelievable. Elliot Mazer, who produced Neil, produced “Harvest,” came down to the shore of the lake and he shouted out to Neil: How was that, Neil?

And I swear to god, Neil Young shouted back: More barn!

To that we say, more Neil Young! Find more Neil right below.

Neil Young Busking in Glasgow, 1976: The Story Behind the Footage

‘The Needle and the Damage Done’: Neil Young Plays Two Songs on The Johnny Cash Show, 1971

The Time Neil Young Met Charles Manson, Liked His Music, and Tried to Score Him a Record Deal

Neil Young on the Travesty of MP3s

1. sizzletwits says . . . | October 18, 2013 / 12:32 pm

Stern is a great interviewer. Why the surprise?

2. Open Culture says . . . | October 18, 2013 / 9:21 pm

I know it, for sure I’m not sure that others do — that they can get past the other parts of the show.

3. JDSoCal says . . . | October 21, 2013 / 11:01 pm

Good article, except for the author preferring lame-ass NPR to Howard Stern.

4. Serai 1 says . . . | October 22, 2013 / 12:24 pm

So if NPR is so lame, what the hell are you doing here?

5. Alex Karamanis says . . . | October 22, 2013 / 5:08 pm

Great story! Music is joyful, and so is Neil.

6. JDSoCal says . . . | October 23, 2013 / 2:06 am

Followed a link from The Loop.nnnNPR is for libtards.

7. hillarys_new_shoes says . . . | October 24, 2013 / 9:37 am

People who use the term “libtards” are basically walking about with a sign around their neck that says “disregard my opinions, for I am a fool.”

8. Serai 1 says . . . | October 24, 2013 / 11:58 am

LOL. Wingnut troll.

9. Serai 1 says . . . | October 24, 2013 / 11:58 am

LOL. Wingnut troll.

10. Serai 1 says . . . | October 24, 2013 / 11:59 am

It is amusing how eagerly they trumpet their fatuousness, though.

11. Serai 1 says . . . | October 24, 2013 / 11:59 am

It is amusing how eagerly they trumpet their fatuousness, though.

12. Serai 1 says . . . | October 24, 2013 / 12:00 pm

So unbelievably funny that you whine about “libtards” and yet you like Young, who is one of the most liberal musicians around. How do you reconcile this discrepancy, exactly?

13. xp says . . . | March 10, 2014 / 9:48 am

“Young, who is one of the most liberal musicians around”

Now I’m a huge Neil Young fan and as liberal as they come. To describe Neil Young as one of the most liberal musicians around is grossly inaccurate. He’s had many flirations with the right in his storied career and if I’m not mistaken he was initially a big supporter of the first gulf war.

14. J-Bone says . . . | June 21, 2014 / 7:00 am

“… if I’m not mistaken he was initially a big supporter of the first gulf war.”

You, sir, are mistaken.

15. Jeff Olson says . . . | June 22, 2014 / 6:34 am

Suporter or not? I do know that the first Gulf war was a whole different “kettle of fish” than Jr’s.