Roger Ebert’s Final List of His Top 10 Favorite Films

roger-ebert-list

Image by Sound Opinions, via Flickr Commons

Roger Ebert seems to have resented star ratings, which he had to dish out atop each and every one of his hundreds upon hundreds of regular newspaper movie reviews. He also emphasized, every once in a while, his disdain for the "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" system that became his and Gene Siskel's television trademark. And he could hardly ever abide that run-of-the-mill critic's standby, the top-ten list. Filmgoers who never paid attention to Ebert's career will likely, at this point, insist that the man never really liked anything, but those of us who read him for years, even decades, know the true depth and scope of his love for movies, a passion he even expressed, regularly, in list form. He did so for, as he put it, "the one single list of interest to me. Every 10 years, the ancient and venerable British film magazine, Sight & Sound, polls the world's directors, movie critics, and assorted producers, cinematheque operators and festival directors, etc., to determine the Greatest Films of All Time."

"Why do I value this poll more than others?" Ebert asks. "It has sentimental value. The first time I saw it in the magazine, I was much impressed by the names of the voters, and felt a thrill to think that I might someday be invited to join their numbers. I was teaching a film course in the University of Chicago's Fine Arts Program, and taught classes of the top ten films in 1972, 1982 and 1992." His dream came true, and when he wrote this reflection on sending in his list every decade, he did so a year nearly to the day before his death in 2013, making his entry in the 2012 Sight & Sound poll a kind of last top-ten testament:

Deciding that he must vote for "one new film" he hadn't included on his 2002 list, Ebert narrowed it down to two candidates: The Tree of Life and Charlie Kaufman's Synecdoche, New York. "Like the Herzog, the Kubrick and the Coppola, they are films of almost foolhardy ambition. Like many of the films on my list, they were directed by the artist who wrote them. Like several of them, they attempt no less than to tell the story of an entire life. [ ... ] I could have chosen either film — I chose The Tree of Life because it’s more affirmative and hopeful. I realise that isn’t a defensible reason for choosing one film over the other, but it is my reason, and making this list is essentially impossible, anyway."  That didn't stop his cinephilia from prevailing — not that much ever could.

Roger Ebert Talks Movingly About Losing and Re-Finding His Voice (TED 2011)

The Two Roger Eberts: Emphatic Critic on TV; Incisive Reviewer in Print

Roger Ebert Lists the 10 Essential Characteristics of Noir Films

1,150 Free Movies Online: Great Classics, Indies, Noir, Westerns, etc.

Colin Marshall hosts and produces Notebook on Cities and Culture and writes essays on cities, language, Asia, and men’s style. He’s at work on a book about Los Angeles, A Los Angeles Primer. Follow him on Twitter at @colinmarshall or on Facebook.

• Roman Sateonetoo says:

I can’t even imagine the amount of films Ebert must have watched in his lifetime…

• Brian Berta says:

Are these films in any order?

• Bob says:

They’re in alphabetical order

• Marlon says:

I’m 44 and I’ve only seen one of the movies on this list of his (Raging Bull, which I thought was pretty boring.)

• Joe Feckle says:

2001 and Citizen Kane are boring, too.

• Carsten Cris says:

And yet he has included an über corny and decidedly clumsy movie like Tree of Life in his top ten.

Seriously makes me doubt everything that man has ever said about the art of film.

• Carsten Cris says:

• Amor Asad says:

2001, Citizen Kane boring?

Is that supposed to be a joke?

• STVnRWC says:

“Raging Bull”….boring?! ….Boring??!! … Wow!! ….To each his own I guess. Then just a few lines down “Citizen Kane” also described as boring?! … Strange how 2 people that have such a blatant disregard for what are widely considered 2 of the best films of all time!!!…Just strange how these 2 people even found there way to comment on this thread linked to one of the most famous film critics of all time … some one who absolutely adored film and even for a film that Roger Ebert loathed he at least had enough respect for films he hated to bestow upon them a liteny of adjectives to which they would be laid to shame in that they could at least be proud that they died a good death. But to just merely call a film “boring”……is the biggest injustice you can give a film. Even a film you dislike has to call rise to something inside you … that you would at least be man enough to look it in its eyes as you gut it from spleen to spine!!!….A lone pithy word … “boring” …. expounding no further…is to stab it in the back while it exposes all its vulnerabilities to the world. A film you dislike deserves all the same passion you bestow on the films you love otherwise just get up and leave the theater after the trailers have concluded because you have nothing deeper to offer medium.

• Michael Hovey says: