Stephen Hawking Starts Posting on Facebook: Join His Quest to Explain What Makes the Universe Exist

in Astronomy, Physics | October 26th, 2014

hawking on fb

I have no idea whether there’s intelligent life out there in the universe. But we can at least confirm that there’s a little intelligent life on Facebook, seeing that Stephen Hawking, the world’s best known theoretical physicist, began posting there yesterday. His first status update reads:

I have always wondered what makes the universe exist. Time and space may forever be a mystery, but that has not stopped my pursuit. Our connections to one another have grown infinitely and now that I have the chance, I’m eager to share this journey with you. Be curious, I know I will forever be.

Welcome, and thank you for visiting my Facebook Page. -SH

Join his official Facebook page here. And find/like the official Open Culture page here, where we make it easy to share our daily cultural posts with your family and friends.

Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking & Arthur C. Clarke Discuss God, the Universe, and Everything Else

A Brief History of Time: Errol Morris’s Film of Stephen Hawking

Stephen Hawking’s Universe: A Visualization in Stars and Sound

Free Online Physics Courses

Free Online Astronomy Courses

by | Make a Comment (27)

1. jim calocci says . . .
    October 25, 2014 / 3:21 pm

Stephen Hawking ,
    Be curious
    I know I will forever be

a question , if I may
    would you explain, I will forever
    be ,

thanks,

2. ana says . . .
    October 26, 2014 / 9:59 am

Happy to know I May be able to share mr. Hawking Knowledge andar insight

3. A.l. says . . .
    October 26, 2014 / 10:13 am

Looking foward to mr. Hawking’s comments…..

4. Kate Windham says . . .
    October 26, 2014 / 5:14 pm

Stephan Hawkins is cool. I would like to see these programs. Physics is cool also. I am 75, but never tire of learning and hearing theorys.

5. Kate Windham says . . .
    October 26, 2014 / 5:16 pm

I would like to see and read these topics.

6. John Flagg says . . .
    October 26, 2014 / 5:18 pm
  7. Chris Mensky says . . .
    October 26, 2014 / 5:23 pm

Interested in learning more about the universe. Please keep me in mind.

8. Miromification says . . .
    October 26, 2014 / 5:34 pm

Music… everywhere is music…All my life , i have this feeling inside… something wrong with us… with human…. now i know :) the fear is wrong… that shit goes round and round… hijacked our minds and controlled our thoughts ;) its a mystic miracle music… the music opens your mind to understand the Universe and Life… check ot my channel for more input :) Peace

9. Russell Cushing says . . .
    October 26, 2014 / 5:37 pm

Mr. Hawking, I am very much into physics, I am 43 years old and have a 4yr old son, what would be the best way to get him interested in the a) the solar system b) the galaxy, c) the universe, d)????.

10. emmanuel says . . .
    October 26, 2014 / 6:20 pm

How does the world Function in put with the universe

11. Justin Langwald says . . .
    October 26, 2014 / 8:50 pm

Dear Mr. Hawking,

In my opinion, The question you ask has many many parts to it, none of which can be known with our current level of knowledge even on a combined basis. Before you jump to the very last questions I think a better approach might be to understand how the universe as we know it 1.) exists as part of a greater whole, such as a single cell which exists in a multicelled organism, and 2.) the function(s) that this singular universe May possible serve . … If there is anything I have learned about what I believe ,but cannot yet ,or ever possibly prove ,it is that anything and everything is most likely possible ,and it exists for the purpose that it can lead to many more other possible existences , and for human understanding we are constantly redefining this “existence” only relative to our own utility. Text me back anytime

12. amit sharon b s says . . .
    October 27, 2014 / 7:02 am

sir , splitting of 1 molecule into different forms and due to some kind of hits and cracks make this ..

13. narayan gangurday says . . .
    October 27, 2014 / 8:52 am

we have a many problem either than universe such as poverty,unequality and destruction on earth by human sillyness and we wastage our money to searching the other planet.

14. simon salcedo the great says . . .
    October 27, 2014 / 6:19 pm

yo, why does existence exist

15. Linda Linebaugh says . . .
    October 27, 2014 / 7:50 pm

always ready to learn something new,bring it on.

16. RAJENDRA GUPTA says . . .
    November 1, 2014 / 7:45 am

Dear Mr. Hawkins,

It is very inspiring for us to see you remaining so active in your scientific pursuits in spite of your physical problem. As a firm Believer, I pray to God with all my heart to cure you of this serious disease. I am sanguine that your remaining healthy and fit will benefit humanity as whole which is heading toward the danger of extinction due to various factors. Personally, I would like to know your opinion about God whether you believe in Him and Is He the Cause for everything happening in the universe? Kindly find some moments to post your brief answers.

Wishing you well always,

Rajendra Gupta, Mumbai, India.

17. kurosh says . . .
    December 18, 2014 / 10:29 am

Dear Sir
    I am very happy to be live at the same time in which YOU live .In the middel east millions of peaple can not breath freely and securly because of radical followes of god.Please motivate same other scientists to discuss،speak، write and publish more openly and bravely az YOU.
    Thank You very much ، because YOU opened our closed eyes.

18. rakesh shelar says . . .
    December 23, 2014 / 8:03 pm

Is that newtons 3 low is carrtect becos
    In eart due to gravitation force where as action there is an reaction
    But in vacuum where action There not reaction
    In vaccum action can form one element but reaction two or more element requires

19. rakesh shelar says . . .
    December 23, 2014 / 8:05 pm

Newtons not explain no . Element required for reaction and action in his 3 low of motion

20. Khin Thida says . . .
    December 29, 2014 / 1:22 pm

Dear SH,

I am a children educational books writer and publisher from Myanmar.

This website will be a great help to me.

As someone from a different culture…

We (Buddhist people) do not believe in God but happy with believing that we are always with our deeds, and we meditate when we want to get out of time and place.

However your scientific challenge to knowing about the universe gives us huge courage to learn ( I am not a scientist).

So grateful to be in touch with you.

With much thanks and respects,

21. luckey kumar says . . .
    February 3, 2015 / 6:31 pm

why at the time of the formation of the first tiny particle of matter, called quarks or when the time when unimaginable amount of energy released have there is any force work on this………….

22. will hasson says . . .
    September 12, 2015 / 7:20 pm

The great pyramid of giza to me has 2 actions within its silent language . Prophetic and the way it was built. If u will note the math etc. Was a way,if u will pardon this expression, of keeping their ducks in a row, as they altered certain unseen laws to accomplish their objective. With all do respect sir, wouldn’t that be the proper protocol for all scientific endeavors.

23. K.shirish says . . .
    December 15, 2015 / 7:19 am

Mr hawking i read your article on black holes recently in which you wrote about firewall paradox your idea of apparent horizons seems wonderfull

24. N.RAJARAJAN says . . .
    February 3, 2016 / 11:39 am

Mr.hawking,one galaxy born from anather one mother galaxy i think much biger,much langer lighting years ,that away from all the galaxys .like yeast cell production.this all my imagenations.

25. Ramesh Chandra says . . .
    February 6, 2016 / 6:34 am

Sir I consider you as the incarnation of Indian saint of Hindu Mythology named as Astavakra Ji Maharaj.He has the greatest knowledge of formation of universe.As we know that initially the universe was a point composed of energy only.Let this energy be called cosmic energy.From this cosmic energy with the lapse of time anti matter came out leaving behind the matter.slowly and slowly matter came in contact with anti matter and thus complete annihilation took place.This complete annihilation gave result called The Big Bang.Sir do you agree or not , please do convey the other principle.

26. Ramesh Chandra says . . .
    February 6, 2016 / 6:41 am

Sir you are my hope of my puzzle which always haunting my mind.you are only my solution.As we know that energy is that very thing which has no mass and occupies no space.Let us consider a point in the space which has whole energy before Big Bang Explosion.Does it so please give your opinion.

How a person goes to sleep? To my mind when selflessness prevails on the brain the man goes to sleep and dream creates a feeling of sadness or happiness which awakens the man.What is your opinion about it.

To my mind eye acts as a camera which registers the activity which are guided by cerebrum and cerebellum and kept recorded in hypothalamus.As we know that cerebrum and cerebellum are active during day and hypothalamus is active in night.This means that dream is guided by hypothalamus.What is your opinion about it.

Sir I want to know how dream is related with the formation of universe because I consider dream as a antimatter.

27. Neil Dias says . . .
    April 13, 2016 / 12:58 am

Best wishes to in your quest for life in outer space.