Lennon or McCartney? 550 Artists Answer the Essential, Timeless Question

Lennon & McCartney — the two musicians came together and composed the most important songbook of the last 50 years. Early on, John and Paul wrote many of their songs together — songs like “She Loves You” and “Eight Days a Week.” Later, as they describe it here, the dynamic changed: one would write the bulk of a song; the other would give it a listen and work out the kinks, adding the right melody, or removing a particularly corny verse. Although the two shared writing credits for all Beatles songs, Lennon principally wrote “Strawberry Fields Forever,” “Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown),” and “Come Together.” McCartney gave us “Eleanor Rigby,” “Hey Jude,” “Let It Be,” and “Penny Lane.” Depending on which you like, you might put yourself in the Lennon or the McCartney camp.

Along the way, we’ve all been asked to take a side, and that applies to musicians too. Above, you can find a 34 minute compilation where musicians and artists — from Lady GaGa to David Byrne — make their pick. And below, in the comments, you’re invited to tell us where you fall — with John or Paul, and why?

Or who is going to offer up George, who, for my money, released the best of the Beatles’ solo albums?

via Metafilter

The Beatles: Unplugged Collects Acoustic Demos of White Album Songs (1968)

The Last Time Lennon & McCartney Played Together Captured in the Bootleg A Toot And a Snore in ’74

The 10-Minute, Never-Released, Experimental Demo of The Beatles’ “Revolution” (1968)

1. ALEXANDRA PAPADAKI says . . . | December 17, 2014 / 12:00 pm

I love’Eleanor Rigby’and’hey Jude’
    BUT I vote LENNON!
    Dr Jekyll OR Mr Hyde?

2. M-R says . . . | December 17, 2014 / 12:23 pm

Fer crissake why does this choice have to be made ???
    Achieves nothing.
    Both men totally brilliant musicians, both flawed characters.
    George probably the best of the lot.
    Let’s not separate them.

3. Jon says . . . | December 17, 2014 / 6:01 pm

Flip a coin depending on what mood you’re in. In my life there’s always been something I’ve been amazed with. If I was not in a place where I could actually listen to anything there would always be a photograph I could think about. Why try to rate? Just enjoy for what it is.

4. Leandro says . . . | December 17, 2014 / 6:44 pm

Lennon… but wait, McCartney was the brain behind abbey road and the let it be stuff, you know, if i had a band and we were fucking off each other after 10 years of highlights i would be that kind of guy that was McCartney to just say to the others “hey bros, why don’t we just play some rock&roll like the old times, just for fun, and then we get fuck out of here”

So McCartney

5. ROBERTO says . . . | December 17, 2014 / 6:56 pm

McCartney. Pero es la dupla en conjunto. Quizás las mejores melodías son de Paul

6. Antonio says . . . | December 17, 2014 / 9:14 pm

John and George!

7. Rosa says . . . | December 18, 2014 / 6:11 am

It’s really seasonal for me. Today I feel like it’s Lennon. In summer, I’d say McCartney. There’s no final answer.

8. Rain,adustbowlstory says . . . | December 18, 2014 / 8:12 am

I can’t put my finger on exactly what it is about John Lennon’s interviews. But you’d be hard-put to find an artist talking about his own life and work with less fuss and more wisdom.

9. Nathanael says . . . | December 18, 2014 / 9:47 am

the correct answer is George Harrison

10. Dan says . . . | December 18, 2014 / 11:37 am

I won’t say. Buy why is the background music a Harrison song? Neutrality territory?

11. Gary Willner says . . . | December 18, 2014 / 11:45 am

Paul wrote sweet poppy melodies that were full of hooks (both musically and lyrically). While John wrote edgy, lean and without frills like Paul. Put the two together and they cancelled out the over reaching of each other’s styles. This made for just the right mix making their compositions outstanding works of musical brilliance.

12. Roy Niles says . . . | December 18, 2014 / 12:07 pm

Hey, Jude. Nuff said!

13. mukwase jonan says . . . | December 18, 2014 / 1:10 pm

thats cool.

14. Vildana says . . . | December 18, 2014 / 1:31 pm

I somehow like many of those that said Lennon..coincidence. And, especially those that didn’t feel the need to explane a thing. Simply, Lennon. And great for George that many included him even though the interviewers didn’t.