Jorge Luis Borges Selects 74 Books for Your Personal Library

borges personal library

“Jorge Luis Borges 1951, by Grete Stern” by Grete Stern (1904-1999). Licensed under Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons.

Jorge Luis Borges’ terse, mind-expanding stories reshaped modern fiction. He was one of the first authors to mix high culture with low, merging such popular genres as science fiction and the detective story with heady philosophical discourses on authorship, reality and existence. His story “The Garden of the Forking Paths,” which describes a novel that is also a labyrinth, presaged the hypertextuality of the internet age. His tone of ironic detachment influenced generations of Latin American authors. The BBC argued that Borges was the most important writer of the 20th century.

Of course, Borges wasn’t just an author. When not writing fiction, Borges worked as a literary critic, occasional film critic, a librarian, and, for a spell, as the director of the Biblioteca Nacional in Buenos Aires. His tastes were famously eclectic. He did not think of much of canonical writers like Goethe, Jane Austen, James Joyce and Gabriel Garcia Marquez. He favored the 19th storytellers like Edgar Allan Poe and Rudyard Kipling.

In 1985, Argentine publisher Hyspamerica asked Borges to create A Personal Library — which involved curating 100 great works of literature and writing introductions for each volume. Though he only got through 74 books before he died of liver cancer in 1988, Borges’s selections are fascinating and deeply idiosyncratic. He listed adventure tales by Robert Louis Stevenson and H.G. Wells alongside exotic holy books, 8th century Japanese poetry and the musing of Kierkegaard. You can see the full list below. A number of the selected works can be found in our Free eBooks and Free Audio Books collections.

1. Stories by Julio Cortázar (not sure if this refers to Hopscotch, Blow-Up and Other Stories, or neither)
2. & 3. The Apocryphal Gospels
4. Amerika and The Complete Stories by Franz Kafka
5. The Blue Cross: A Father Brown Mystery by G.K. Chesterton
6. & 7. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
8. The Intelligence of Flowers by Maurice Maeterlinck
9. The Desert of the Tartars by Dino Buzzati
10. Peer Gynt and Hedda Gabler by Henrik Ibsen
11. The Mandarin: And Other Stories by Eça de Queirós
12. The Jesuit Empire by Leopoldo Lugones
13. The Counterfeiters by André Gide
14. The Time Machine and The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells
15. The Greek Myths by Robert Graves
16. & 17. Demons by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
18. Mathematics and the Imagination by Edward Kasner
19. The Great God Brown and Other Plays, Strange Interlude, and Mourning Becomes Electra by Eugene O’Neill
20. Tales of Ise by Ariwara no Narihara
21. Benito Cereno, Billy Budd, and Bartleby, the Scrivener by Herman Melville
22. The Tragic Everyday, The Blind Pilot, and Words and Blood by Giovanni Papini
23. The Three Impostors
36. Imaginary lives by Marcel Schwob
37. Caesar and Cleopatra, Major Barbara, and Candide by George Bernard Shaw
38. Macus Brutus and The Hour of All by Francisco de Quevedo
39. The Red Redmaynes by Eden Phillpotts
40. Fear and Trembling by Søren Kierkegaard
41. The Golem by Gustav Meyrink
42. The Lesson of the Master, The Figure in the Carpet, and The Private Life by Henry James
43. & 44. The Nine Books of the History of Herodotus by Herdotus
45. Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo
46. Tales by Rudyard Kipling
47. Vathek by William Beckford
48. Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe
49. The Professional Secret & Other Texts by Jean Cocteau
50. The Last Days of Emmanuel Kant and Other Stories by Thomas de Quincey
51. Prologue to the Work of Silverio Lanza by Ramon Gomez de la Serna
52. The Thousand and One Nights
53. New Arabian Nights and Markheim by Robert Louis Stevenson
54. Salvation of the Jews, The Blood of the Poor, and In the Darkness by Léon Bloy
55. The Bhagavad Gita and The Epic of Gilgamesh
64. Poetical Works by Ezequiel Martinez Estrada
65. Tales by Edgar Allan Poe
66. The Aeneid by Virgil
67. Stories by Voltaire
68. An Experiment with Time by J.W. Dunne
69. An Essay on Orlando Furioso by Atilio Momigliano
70. & 71. The Varieties of Religious Experience and The Study of Human Nature by William James
72. Egil’s Saga by Snorri Sturluson
73. The Book of the Dead
74. & 75. The Problem of Time by J. Alexander Gunn

Borges: Profile of a Writer” Presents the Life and Writings of Argentina’s Favorite Son, Jorge Luis Borges

Jorge Luis Borges’ 1967-8 Norton Lectures On Poetry (And Everything Else Literary)

Jorge Luis Borges’ Favorite Short Stories (Read 7 Free Online)

Jonathan Crow is a Los Angeles-based writer and filmmaker whose work has appeared in Yahoo!, The Hollywood Reporter, and other publications. You can follow him at @jonccrow. And check out his blog Veeptopus, featuring lots of pictures of badgers and even more pictures of vice presidents with octopuses on their heads.  The Veeptopus store is here.

• firpo says:

Regarding Cortázar’s Stories, he refers to the short stories you find in Bestiario (1951) and Las armas secretas (1959).

• Ahmad Mubarak says:

• lokezombie says:

This is my favorite website on the internet you guys always put me on to great stuff. Borges was an amazing writer and reader and all around human being and getting a look at some of his reading list is really interesting. I want to check out a bunch of these books now just to see if I can get in his head a little bit.

• Jan English Leary says:

Where are the women writers?

• Lindsey says:

Did I miss someone? I mean, is there not a single woman?? I love Borges, but wow is this disappointing….

• Kevin says:

I echo Jan and Lindsey, but we can also ask why the list lacks authors from certain cultures and even entire entire continents. I guess if it’s a personal library, it’s the books he enjoys, not necessarily those he thinks everyone must read (although that does seem implied).

• Lynne cresitello says:

That he would place Robert Louis Stevenson on his list with Kierkegaard assures my attention. Stevenson is the first author I ever knew because my mother read to me from him when I was 3 and 4 years old; she did not read to me from Kierkegaard. Yet here on this list it’s more than just eclectic to see them together. Also, it’s not often one expects to find both Henry and William James on the same list. He’s easily forgiven for seeming not to appreciate any women writers, but it is more lamentable perhaps for him I’d say than for myself.

Appreciated post. Thank you. lsc

• maria says:

I think it was something personal, not an “official” list of books people should read. Being personal, it doesn’t have anything to do with politically correctness or to how (in)complete it is.
    Asking why there are not women it’s like asking why is there Aeneida and not also Odisea by Homer? It’s just a matter of taste. Taste is sometimes random, and taste sometimes doesn’t have a certain gender.

• Eric Bourland says:

>>>The Nine Books of the History of Herodotus by Herdotus

• Lindsey says:

I fail to understand how Borges’ declining to include *one* book, like the Odyssey, is in any way comparable to his inability to recommend a single female author. It’s clear this list represents his personal taste… what I am surprised by is the fact that someone as famously widely-read as Borges couldn’t come up with a single female writer to be excited about. Like, not even one. No George Eliot, no Gertrude Stein, no Alejandra Pizarnik, no Clarice Lispector—not even Sappho or Emily Dickinson. That’s not just picking the Aeneid over the Odyssey—that’s ignoring a huge population of hugely influential and innovative literary landscapers.

I am, however, very happy to see so many Latin American and Spanish language writers I never knew before. Adding those to my list.

• ĐURO MARIČIĆ says:

Očigledno da je JOSE LUIS BORGES slabo poznavao rusku književnost.

• Gira says:

Great List.

I think it’s matter of good taste to prefer Aeneida over Odyssey. Also it’s not surprising that there is a lack of female authors, I don’t think that someone like JLB would modify his personal taste only to satisfies mediocrity or political correctness. I can’t imagine any ‘best of list’ – in any field that have something to do with creativity – with females. Of course you can push it just for the sake of your political agenda, but that’s something else.

• Nicolás says:

First, great post. Thank you.
    Second, just a detail: Borges died July 14th, 1986, not 1988.

• Nicolás says:

I mean June.
    My bad.

• Dick Tam says:

Just a matter of fact, he likes the work of Silvina Ocampo, claiming her as one of the greatest poets in the Spanish language.

• Isela says:

He also liked the work of Virginia Woolf. He translated her novel Orlando (into Spanish), which is considered a feminist classic.

• I am also puzzled by the lack of female authors. Surely in the history of books and reading – there can be found a number of talented, worthy female authors that could be included on his list. I am a “fan” of Mr. Borges. He directly influenced my passion for book collecting and he inspired me to grow my personal library. He said, “I have always imagined Paradise to be a kind of Library.” His list was unfinished at the time of his death so we can only wonder how he may have completed the list. I choose to believe there were to have been women in some of the remaining positions…