Kurt Vonnegut’s 8 Tips on How to Write a Good Short Story

in Literature, Writing | April 10th, 2015

When it came to giving advice to writers, Kurt Vonnegut was never dull. He once tried to warn people away from using semicolons by characterizing them as “transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing.” And, in a master’s thesis rejected by The University of Chicago, he made the tantalizing argument that “stories have shapes which can be drawn on graph paper, and that the shape of a given society’s stories is at least as interesting as the shape of its pots or spearheads.” In this brief video, Vonnegut offers eight essential tips on how to write a short story:

• Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted.
  • Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.
  • Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water.
  • Every sentence must do one of two things–reveal character or advance the action.
  • Start as close to the end as possible.

• Be a sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them–in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
  • Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia.
  • Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To heck with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages.

Vonnegut put down his advice in the introduction to his 1999 collection of magazine stories, Bagombo Snuff Box. But for every rule (well, almost every rule) there is an exception. “The greatest American short story writer of my generation was Flannery O’Connor,” writes Vonnegut. “She broke practically every one of my rules but the first. Great writers tend to do that.”

Now if you want to learn to write with style, that’s another story. And Vonnegut has advice on that too here.

via BrainPickings

“Wear Sunscreen”: The Story Behind the Commencement Speech That Kurt Vonnegut Never Gave

Kurt Vonnegut Diagrams the Shape of All Stories in a Master’s Thesis Rejected by U. Chicago

Kurt Vonnegut Explains “How to Write With Style”

22-Year-Old P.O.W. Kurt Vonnegut Writes Home from World War II: “I’ll Be Damned If It Was Worth It”

by | Make a Comment (14)

1. Tara says . . .
    September 15, 2015 / 1:30 pm

Always Curious

2. ROBERT C. GROSSMAN says . . .
    October 7, 2015 / 9:49 am

I NEED A WRITING COACH AND WILL PAY SOMETHING FOR THE HELP

3. eleanor scott says . . .
    October 20, 2015 / 4:17 pm

How much will I have to pay to get started with a writing coach?

4. Larry Littany Litt says . . .
    December 20, 2015 / 11:40 am

Hi Eleanor,

First of all what do you expect a writing coach to do for you? Perhaps you need an editor. Defining what you need to complete mss is easy if you have a goal. If not then you can tread water until it ices over.

We can talk more if you like.

5. Brian Finn says . . .
    December 26, 2015 / 7:28 am

Is this in reply to my previous?

6. Brian Finn says . . .
    December 26, 2015 / 8:26 am

Retired for five years now. Pursued a series of pointless hobbies, followed by impossible activities including, mountain climbing. Now, being seventy five, the effort upset my enlarged prostate, and didn’t do my back any favours either.
    On reading your article on short story writing, I was thinking, am I too late? I await your reply with bated breath. At my age the bated bit should not be taken literally.
    Happy new year to all,
    Brian.

7. Brian Finn says . . .
    December 28, 2015 / 8:30 am

I hear some writers, especially crime writers, prepare the ending of the
    story first. Is this the norm, or just preference?
    Brian.

8. Mark says . . .
    January 5, 2016 / 11:35 pm

Hi all,

I’m a short story writer and novelist who would love to guide or help out anyone if needed. I’ve won some awards and worked on a wide variety of written communication professionally. Presently I am a freelance business writer – resumes, Linkedin profiles, bios, etc. Leave me a message here and I’ll get in touch.

9. Mark says . . .
    January 5, 2016 / 11:36 pm

You’re not too late, Brian. You’re still alive and that is what counts.

10. Mohammedeö says . . .
    January 11, 2016 / 2:21 am

Hey Mark,I’d really love your help and to get in contact with you.We can stay in contact through Facebook,Whatsapp or Email,whichever suits you best

11. Amanda Porter says . . .
    February 8, 2016 / 6:35 pm

I am starting out but I don’t know where to start from? Can someone help me with this problem?

12. Anna says . . .
    February 19, 2016 / 9:41 am

Hey all,

I’m like Brian, a 45 yr old wife & mother who has always dabbled in writing. I wrote my first short story when I was 8 yrs old. I’ve written several short since then, but then I turned to poetry and that’s my true love. My short stories and my poems are all “confessional”, and according to my son, quite depressing. I’ve always been afraid to allow anyone other than my husband and children to read anything that I’ve written. My daughter suggested that I take my little “notebooks of honesty” and have them printed so my family will always have a copy. Has anyone ever done that?

13. Areli Rivera says . . .
    March 8, 2016 / 8:07 pm

Hey you guys im like an famous writer because i write storys all the time and taught my son how to write a short story about the hanging gardens of babylon!!! I love your website

14. Terence Staines says . . .
    March 30, 2016 / 8:35 am

Interesting… The responses are more interesting, than the article. Americans seem to think that they are capable of doing anything they bloody-well like, given enough time and resources – that everyone is capable of being a world-class athlete, or an author, or a brain-surgeon… Not so. Writers have to be storytellers, pure and simple. If you don’t have a story to tell, you will only ever be a technical author, or administrative assistant… Words dribble-out of writers, like turds from dogs. They can’t help it, it’s a compulsion. I would say that in order to write, you have to give-up all dreams of ever becoming famous (or even good), and just get into the habit of telling stories. ‘Writer’s write’, to quote an old maxim. Just do it; let posterity worry about quality or usefulness! You should never approach any branch of the arts with a desire to become lauded or rich, but merely satisfied.