Spend some time on iTunes, and you’ll find some excellent cultural podcasts, simply hours worth of high-touch intellectual content. And the excellent part is that the trove is growing, and the quality content keeps on coming.
The rub is that it takes time to separate the wheat from the chaff — too much time, if you honestly ask me.
We now know the list of Nobel Prize winners for 2006, and the award ceremony in Stockholm is not far off (December 10th). This year’s prize in literature went to Orhan Pamuk, who is almost a rock star in his home country, Turkey, but less well known outside. But that’s clearly about to change.[...]
Open Culture has been up and running for less than a month, and we’ve been monitoring traffic for about two weeks, thanks to Google Analytics. So far, here’s what we’ve seen: Roughly 70% of readers come from within the US, leaving 30% to an international audience, which is itself very diverse.[...]
There is a lot of buzz around podcasting these days. Last December, the editors of the New Oxford American Dictionary selected “podcast” as the word of the year (and they defined it as “a digital recording of a radio broadcast or similar program, made available on the Internet for downloading to a personal audio player”).[...]
Gift buying season is upon us, and it’s time to start thinking about a thoughtful gift for friends and family. On December 3, The New York Times Book Review will publish in print its list, “100 Notable Books of the Year.” However, you can catch it online beforehand and use it to start making your list.[...]
Universities pump out knowledge every day, and thankfully, many of the best universities and colleges are now starting to tape important lectures, if not full courses, and make them available as podcasts. We’ve spent the past few weeks finding the best podcast collections, both on iTunes and off.[...]
These days, the Enlightenment project finds itself in a tense cultural competition with religion. Go around the US and ask, “how did we come to be?” and you will get different answers. Some, appealing to science and reason, the children of the Enlightenment, will look to evolution for answers.[...]
There’s a lot of free, high quality educational materials floating around the ether. It’s just a question of knowing where to find them, and what’s wheat and what’s chaff. On the left hand side of this page, you will find carefully-selected collections of free university podcasts, free online courses and media, and free educational web resources.[...]