Mnozil Brass: Europe’s Most Imaginative Brass Band

Here’s something fun. And a bit weird. Mnozil Brass is an Austrian septet that combines musical virtuosity with absurdist theatre. The group’s name means “nozzle,” and refers to the Mnozil Pub, a little place near the Vienna College of Music where the founding members used to get together to drink and play music. Since forming in 1992, and the group’s entertaining mixture of music and clowning has grown steadily in popularity. Above is a skit called “Slow Motion” from Mnozil Brass’s new DVD, Magic Moments. Think of it as a sort of “spaghetti western music recital.” There are several more samples below, to give you a sense of the lunacy:

The William Tell Overture:

Lonely Boy:

Bohemian Rhapsody:

1. Nathalie C. says . . . | August 17, 2012 / 11:06 am

Love it! Thanks so much for sharing. I’m passing the post on to my sons who play brass instruments themselves.

2. gary l wales says . . . | April 29, 2013 / 4:38 pm

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC

3. Eclectic Earthling says . . . | May 7, 2013 / 7:12 am

Talented, versatile, wonderfully funny!

4. Rita Stevens says . . . | May 16, 2013 / 4:38 am

It’s as though the whole cast of Fawlty Towers were musicians. (Except I’m not sure all the Fawlty Towers crowd could sing.)
    What huge talents, musical and comedic, in Mnozil Brass! Many thanks, whoever posted these videos.

5. John Athanasen says . . . | June 21, 2013 / 11:46 pm

I love all the Mnozils. I wish they could come to the Youngstown/Warren, Ohio area. I played the trumpet for many years and I know enough about playing the horn to really, really appreciate what the Mnozils do. Keep it up. You bring much entertainment and happiness to the people of the world.
    John

6. fortunata schembri says . . . | August 13, 2013 / 6:36 am

hello brass band.

can you send me your email so i can keep incontact with you?

thanks

7. Erika says . . . | January 8, 2014 / 7:05 am

Wow , da rimanere a bocca aperta !!!!!!!!

8. Jan R. says . . . | June 1, 2014 / 12:03 pm

A group of friends went to see and hear this fantastic group of men in The Perth Theatre and oh boy I want to see them again in Scotland