What Happens When Everyday People Get a Chance to Conduct a World-Class Orchestra

Here’s what ImprovEverywhere did. They:

put a Carnegie Hall orchestra in the middle of New York City and placed an empty podium in front of the musicians with a sign that read, “Conduct Us.” Random New Yorkers who accepted the challenge were given the opportunity to conduct this world-class orchestra. The orchestra responded to the conductors, altering their tempo and performance accordingly.

Improv Everywhere is “a New York City-based prank collective that causes scenes of chaos and joy in public places. Created in August of 2001 by Charlie Todd, the organization “has executed over 100 missions involving tens of thousands of undercover agents.” Find more of their “work” on YouTube.

via Devour

Beethoven’s “Ode to Joy” Movingly Flashmobbed in Spain

Copenhagen Philharmonic Plays Ravel’s Bolero at Train Station

Flashmob Recreates Rembrandt’s “The Night Watch” in a Dutch Shopping Mall

1. grey says . . . | October 2, 2013 / 9:08 am

nice

2. Linas Nenartavicius says . . . | October 5, 2013 / 8:30 am

Haha, awesome!

3. Jackie says . . . | October 8, 2013 / 7:28 pm

Can they PLEASE do this again when the Macy’s Great American Marching Band is in town??? I know about 250 amazing music kids who would absolutely die to get themselves in front of an orchestra like that :-D

4. Fatima says . . . | October 9, 2013 / 9:11 pm

Great

5. DanaB says . . . | October 13, 2013 / 6:40 am

The best thing I’ve seen and heard today. Amazing work!

6. Max says . . . | October 14, 2013 / 2:39 am

it’s cool

7. ciotog says . . . | October 15, 2013 / 10:37 am

Sorry, that’s not what this is about. There are hundreds/thousands of individuals/groups worldwide that would “absolutely die” for the chance to conduct this orchestra.nThis particular opportunity was designed to inspire otherwise non-music-lovers to see what they’re missing.

8. Boulga says . . . | October 15, 2013 / 6:53 pm

Awesome. I wish I could have a go! But with a music sheet please.

9. Mary says . . . | October 22, 2013 / 8:58 am

What fun! There’s a little bit of conductor in all of us.

10. rengcutea29 says . . . | November 21, 2013 / 8:12 pm

Recently I was REALLY low on cash and debts were eating me from all sides! That was UNTIL I decided to make money.. on the internet. I went to surveymoneymaker dot net, and started filling in surveys for cash, and surely I’ve been far more able to pay my bills! I’m so glad, I did this! With all the financial stress these years, I really hope all of you will give it a chance. – kmep