The Feynman Lectures on Physics, The Most Popular Physics Book Ever Written, Now Completely Online

The-Feynman-Lectures-on-Physics-e1379099712949

Last fall, we let you know that Caltech and The Feynman Lectures Website joined forces to create an online edition of The Feynman Lectures on Physics. They started with Volume 1. And now they’ve followed up with Volume 2 and Volume 3, making the collection complete.

First presented in the early 1960s at Caltech by the Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman, the lectures were eventually turned into a book by Feynman, Robert B. Leighton, and Matthew Sands. The text went on to become arguably the most popular physics book ever written, selling more than 1.5 million copies in English, and getting translated into a dozen languages.

The new online edition makes The Feynman Lectures on Physics available in HTML5. The text “has been designed for ease of reading on devices of any size or shape,” and you can zoom into text, figures and equations without degradation. Dive right into the lectures here. And if you’d prefer to see Feynman (as opposed to read Feynman), we would encourage you to watch ‘The Character of Physical Law,’ Feynman’s  seven-part lecture series recorded at Cornell in 1964.

The Feynman Lectures on Physics is now listed in our collections of Free eBooks and Free Textbooks.

Photograph by Tom Harvey. Copyright © California Institute of Technology.

via Metafilter

Free Online Physics Courses (part of our larger collection, 1000 Free Online Courses from Top Universities)

Free Physics Textbooks

‘The Character of Physical Law’: Richard Feynman’s Legendary Course Presented at Cornell, 1964

The Richard Feynman Trilogy: The Physicist Captured in Three Films

1. Jesper Both Pedersen says . . . | August 26, 2014 / 10:15 am

Most excellent.

2. Mike Shelton says . . . | August 26, 2014 / 1:38 pm

The more I read and listen to Feynman, the more fascinated I am of the man himself. We may never see another one like him in our lifetime. I ordered the hard cover boxed set from Amazon earlier this week, even though they are available for free online. For me, they are worth having physical copies of.

3. gluejar says . . . | August 26, 2014 / 2:27 pm

Note that these are free to access but prohibited to “download”. I wrote a blog post about it earlier this year: http://go-to-hellman.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-dmca-takedown-of-feynman-lectures.html

4. swatiramesh says . . . | August 29, 2014 / 1:54 am

These three books are kind of bibles who want to study physics. i almost slept with them in my young days..We will definitly not have another man like this. Mr. Feynman, YOU ARE THE MAN..

5. William Harter says . . . | August 31, 2014 / 2:30 pm

I was a grad student of Feynman and Bill Wagner (Coauthor of Feynman’s only book on gravity) at the time the Feynman Lectures were being given. I have spent my career trying to write sequels of FL for graduate courses I’ve taught. Difficult task, indeed! But, it’s been fun trying and I gained appreciative students. Ongoing results are free online. {http://www.uark.edu/ua/modphys/testing/markup/Harter-SoftWebApps.html} See what you think. Enjoy comments good or bad.

6. William Harter says . . . | August 31, 2014 / 9:18 pm

Posted some comments relative to Feynman Lectures and my own experience as his graduate student in the 60’s. These comments have disappeared.