The Old Man and the Sea Animated

In 1999, Aleksandr Petrov won the Academy Award for Short Film (among other awards) for a film that follows the plot line of Ernest Hemingway’s classic novella, The Old Man and the Sea (1952). As noted here, Petrov’s technique involves painting pastels on glass, and he and his son painted a total of 29,000 images in total. Rather incredible. Below, we present the 20 minute short. You’ll find this film listed in our collection of Free Movies Online.

1. Betty says . . . | October 20, 2008 / 3:28 am

What a beautiful video.

2. Mark says . . . | October 20, 2008 / 9:10 am

Thanks so much. I’ve been looking for this for years and practically forgot about it.

3. Jason says . . . | October 25, 2008 / 2:23 pm

Hi there, what a great video and what a wonderful story. Well done to Hemingway and the Petrovs. Is it possible for me to download? I’d love to have copy of my own? Thank you.

4. Ravi Kumar says . . . | February 11, 2009 / 10:57 pm

Thank u very much.Thats a great video.I like it most.I have been looking for this for years and practically forgot about it.

5. Free Movies Online: Where to Watch Them | Open Culture says . . . | November 2, 2009 / 12:21 am

[...] The Old Man & The Sea Animated [...]

6. 20 Places to Watch Free Movies Online | . says . . . | November 2, 2009 / 10:14 am

[...] The Old Man & The Sea Animated [...]

7. gina says . . . | March 24, 2010 / 6:31 pm

hi..thank you so much for the video!it could help me for my book report! thank you so much!

8. Jane Johann says . . . | December 6, 2010 / 7:05 am

Wonderful! Amazing!
    Jane

9. Monday’s Link Roundup. | Dan Curtis ~ Professional Personal Historian says . . . | March 7, 2011 / 6:56 am

[...] The Old Man and the Sea Animated. “In 1999, Aleksandr Petrov won the Academy Award for Short Film (among other awards) for a film that follows the plot line of Ernest Hemingway’s classic novella, The Old Man and the Sea (1952). As noted here, Petrov’s technique involves painting pastels on glass, and he and his son painted a total of 29,000 images in total.” [...]

10. David S. Hooker says . . . | February 28, 2012 / 5:38 pm

There’s a higher quality version on youtube, found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5ih1IRIRxI.

Figured I’d share. :D