A Most Unfortunate Commencement Typo at UT Austin

We’ll let you spot the typo to end all typos. Needless to say, the school has issued its mea culpa on Twitter and started printing new commencement brochures. Now they’ll wait with bated breath to see if their goof becomes fodder for The Daily Show. We all make mistakes and then we move on. via Jim Romanesko

Give us a follow on Facebook and Twitter, and you can share intelligent media (and the occasional joke) with family and friends.

Share on TwitterShare via emailShare on LinkedInShare on TumblrSubmit to StumbleUponDigg ThisSubmit to reddit

1. Alan Miesch says . . . | May 21, 2012 / 5:25 pm

Bated breath. Common mistake, only exacerbated by Mork’s comment, “with worm on tongue”.

2. mary says . . . | May 21, 2012 / 7:38 pm

Those of us library employees always fear making this typo!

3. mark says . . . | May 21, 2012 / 8:01 pm

I love Longhorn jokes

4. Dan Colman says . . . | May 21, 2012 / 10:00 pm

I had a talk with an editor later in the day who told me that she often does a search for the word “pubic,” knowing that it’s a common misspelling. And certainly a PR blunder.

Cheers,
    Dan

5. Anna says . . . | May 21, 2012 / 11:24 pm

Romenesko.

6. Ash says . . . | May 22, 2012 / 3:15 am

Never rely on your spellchecker. They are often wrong; even when right.

7. Barb Drummond says . . . | May 22, 2012 / 5:41 am

I sent out a letter addressed to Mr Prendergast that had been changed to Mr Pederast. Bah! spellcheckers.

8. AC says . . . | May 22, 2012 / 6:57 am

Yeah, you can’t blame this one on spell check.

9. deuce says . . . | May 22, 2012 / 7:27 pm

I sent out a letter one time, inviting the recipients to a Pubic Ceremony.

I didn’t realize it till I got an RSVP with the letter returned, the word circled, with the comment, “I’m looking forward to seeing this”.

10. Tom says . . . | May 22, 2012 / 7:59 pm

Silly me.

I thought it was a comment on Charles Whitman”s Unlimited Possibilities while target shooting unfortunate passers by from this same clock tower.

11. Brian Martin says . . . | May 22, 2012 / 8:46 pm

Wrong President I would have thought.

12. Kulturtrager says . . . | May 22, 2012 / 10:27 pm

I was directed to this story.
    It’s a non-story.
    I saw pubic instead of public; thought, oh well, mistakes happens…no big deal.

But we need hype don’t we?

Typo of all typos? The school uses words like’ inexcusable’, ‘deepest apologies’.

If I was a student there I wouldn’t expect such a grovelling apology. I would expect a new booklet. That’s all that’s needed.

13. Tim says . . . | May 23, 2012 / 12:35 am

I have developed a ‘safety catch’ for this (from bitter experience): Go to your ‘Autocorrect Options’ in MS Word, and tell it to automatically replace ‘pubic’ with ‘public’.

Of course, erotic fiction writers may wish to do the opposite.

14. Ted Reynolds says . . . | May 23, 2012 / 5:25 am

Whenever I refer to my acquaintance Laria in my e-mail, my spellchecker wants to change her name to “Labia”. It would be a mistake on my part to comply.

15. Dan Colman says . . . | May 23, 2012 / 9:06 am

We had a little outage this morning, during which time two comments were added. Here they are:

Steve in St. Louis writes:

A friend of mine designed a menu for a restaurant, and instead of saying “Our House Salad” he typed “Out House Salad.” A customer caught the typo, and many menus had to be reprinted.

Herman writes:

Lyndon always did know how to grab you by the short and curlies.

16. Christina B. says . . . | May 23, 2012 / 11:03 am

I predict enrollment has sharply gone up…

17. Emery Roe says . . . | May 23, 2012 / 3:42 pm

Well, we all knew contemporary policy analysis and public management were in trouble, but this is hair-raising. . .

18. Richard says . . . | May 23, 2012 / 10:23 pm

With Johnson’s drawl recordings of him do always sound as though he’s saying “My fellow merkins.”

19. PropellerHead says . . . | December 10, 2012 / 7:00 pm

The tragic pairing of Johnson and Pubic is priceless. Man, that’s a hairy situation having to pull out and recall all those brochures! Who did they have proofread that? Some limp old one-eyed monster? Bwahahaha!