Michelangelo’s Handwritten 16th-Century Grocery List

Michelangelo'sGroceries

Click for larger image

I admit to having a hard time keeping grocery lists. Do I write them by hand? If so, do I do it in a dedicated notebook, on a refrigerator pad, or on any old scrap I find around? Do I compose them electronically, using some combination of my computer, my phone, and other, more specialized devices? And do I keep separate lists for separate trips to separate stores? (Certain delicacies, after all, you can only get at Trader Joe’s.) Living in the 15th and 16th centuries, the Italian High Renaissance sculptor, painter, architect, poet, and engineer Michelangelo faced a rather less complicated shopping problem: he had only to send assistants off to market to bring back what he needed. Though vanishingly few of this prolific creator’s papers survive today, we do happen to have a few of the grocery lists he sent with them, like that which you see above.

John Updike once wrote that “excellence in the great things is built upon excellence in the small,” and the observation holds up ideally when we think about Michelangelo’s numerous great achievements — PietàDavidThe Last Judgment, St. Peter’s Basilica — in comparison to this humble yet striking rundown of ingredients for a meal, of the same basic kind each of us scrawl out regularly. But when Michelangelo scrawled, he scrawled with both a craftsman’s practical precision and an artist’s evocative flair. “Because the servant he was sending to market was illiterate,” writes the Oregonian‘s Steve Duin in a review of a Seattle Art Museum show, “Michelangelo illustrated the shopping lists — a herring, tortelli, two fennel soups, four anchovies and ‘a small quarter of a rough wine’ — with rushed (and all the more exquisite for it) caricatures in pen and ink.” As we can see, the true Renaissance Man didn’t just pursue a variety of interests, but applied his mastery equally to tasks exceptional and mundane. Which, of course, renders the mundane exceptional.

via Biblioklept

Take a 3D Virtual Tour of the Sistine Chapel, St. Peter’s Basilica and Other Art-Adorned Vatican Spaces

The Anatomical Drawings of Renaissance Man, Leonardo da Vinci

Zooming into Italian Masterpieces

Colin Marshall hosts and produces Notebook on Cities and Culture and writes essays on cities, Asia, film, literature, and aesthetics. He’s at work on a book about Los Angeles, A Los Angeles Primer. Follow him on Twitter at @colinmarshall or on his brand new Facebook page.

Share on TwitterShare via emailShare on LinkedInShare on TumblrSubmit to StumbleUponDigg ThisSubmit to reddit

1. Ben IncaHutz says . . . | December 26, 2013 / 2:13 pm

Thats alot of fish. I’m sure his breath smelled amazing.

2. jethro full says . . . | December 27, 2013 / 8:15 am

What a waste of time to draw pictures of your grocery list items.

3. Srsly says . . . | December 27, 2013 / 8:24 am

Did you not bother to read the article? His servant was illiterate and needed the drawings…

4. Open Culture says . . . | December 27, 2013 / 8:25 am

Thanks. You beat me to the punch!

5. I-Self Born 7 says . . . | December 27, 2013 / 8:49 am

You’re a moron. Didn’t even bother reading the damn article, smh.

6. Meximo says . . . | December 27, 2013 / 3:17 pm

I live with three artists – husband and our 2 boys. My husband will draw next to my handwritten grocery list. It amuses him. My oldest son will also draw on the grocery list especially when he wants something specific. I’m highly entertained.

7. Doug Metcalfe says . . . | December 27, 2013 / 3:34 pm

That is awesome! Even the images he scribbled down to describe what he wanted from the market look better than most people’s drawings. What a extraordinary look at the ordinary!

8. Mike says . . . | December 27, 2013 / 8:20 pm

Karl Pilkington taught me this years ago!

9. MMatias says . . . | December 29, 2013 / 8:45 am

I find it most beautiful and kind.
    A true master. I will try to have a copy of it in my kitchen wall. What a great human being he was.
    My other half must have a diagram with all the specifications of the item on the shopping list. He is an Oxford graduate and holds a
    PhD.We are very different indeed. I am forever making do.

10. Barbara Corbeil says . . . | December 29, 2013 / 12:07 pm

Beautiful grocery list, thanks for the lovely article. I tried to figure out some of the list, lol, and didn’t do well:) I too would like this piece up in my home. Happy 2014

11. PacRim Jim says . . . | December 29, 2013 / 12:17 pm

John Updike once wrote that ”excellence in the great things is built upon excellence in the small”

I read Rabbit, Run. Had Updike evinced such concern for detail in his own work, I wouldn’t have had to plod uphill through page after tedious page.

12. Pete Walrath says . . . | December 29, 2013 / 2:59 pm

@jethro full

what a waste of time? not if that’s what he wanted to do… what are you doing right now, hanging out on Facebook and criticizing a great man’s use of his time 400 years ago? do you see the irony here? moron.

13. Abhi says . . . | December 30, 2013 / 11:18 am

“[Jeeves] eats tons of fish and moves in mysterious ways” as Bertie Wooster used to say. Charming diagram.

14. Captain Obvious says . . . | December 30, 2013 / 3:15 pm

Srsly? Those doodles would not have helped his servant figure out a herring, tortelli, two fennel soups, four anchovies and ‘a small quarter of a rough wine’. They’re just doodles people.

15. visitor says . . . | December 31, 2013 / 5:53 pm

Time to illustrate a shopping list but no time to take a bath.

16. Joanne says . . . | January 2, 2014 / 11:39 am

Seriously?? Someone actually finds a treasure like this and people are critiquing it and criticizing his purpose for doing so? Get real people!! This is a find……who cares why he did this, I’m just glad he did!

17. Teri Dean says . . . | January 3, 2014 / 6:39 pm

Does anyone know where I can purchase a print of the grocery list??

18. Anne Lewis says . . . | March 23, 2014 / 10:03 am

Two questions.

Why do you think he wrote the list if it was for the illiterate servant? Did he make the list for himself first so he wouldn’t forget anything (or maybe he kept a running list, adding to it as he had need) then illustrate it?

Also, what is that faded writing on the side?