Last week, we called your attention to the digitization of the Book of Kells, one of the great manuscripts from the medieval period. The digitized manuscript, we should note, comes accompanied by another great resource--a free online course on the Book of Kells. Both digital initiatives are made possible by Trinity College Dublin.
The six-week course covers the following topics:
- Where and how the manuscript was made
- The social context from which the manuscript emerged, including early medieval faith and politics
- The artistic context of the manuscript, reflecting local and international styles
- The theology and interpretations of the text
- How and why the manuscript survived
- The Book of Kells and contemporary culture
The course "is for anyone with an interest in Ireland, medieval studies, history, art, religion and/or popular culture." Sign up for the free course today.
Would you like to support the mission of Open Culture? Please consider making a donation to our site. It's hard to rely 100% on ads, and your contributions will help us continue providing the best free cultural and educational materials to learners everywhere.
80 Free Online History Courses from Great Universities, a subset of our larger collection, 1,300 Free Online Courses from Top Universities