Public Library Receipt Shows How Much Money You’ve Saved by Borrowing Books, Instead of Buying Them

Wichita Public Library has a neat system. They write on their blog: "Every time materials are borrowed from the Wichita Public Library (WPL) customers receive a receipt showing how much they have saved in that visit, the year to date, and their lifetime savings. The information is displayed on the receipt similar to the ways that retail stores show savings to club members or coupon users." They then go on to add: "So far this year, the highest dollar amount saved by a customer's account is $64,734.12. And the highest dollar amount saved by a customer's account since this feature was implemented is $196,076.21." Every book adds up...

Would you like to support the mission of Open Culture? Please consider making a donation to our site. It's hard to rely 100% on ads, and your contributions will help us continue providing the best free cultural and educational materials to learners everywhere.

Also consider following Open Culture on Facebook and Twitter and sharing intelligent media with your friends. Or sign up for our daily email and get a daily dose of Open Culture in your inbox.

via Reddit/Boing Boing

Support Open Culture

We're hoping to rely on our loyal readers rather than erratic ads. To support Open Culture's continued operation, please consider making a donation. We thank you!

• Gerald says:

Not so sure about the math here. Pretty sure Robinson Crusoe can be had for free (or very close to it).

• Noman says:

Except that libraries aren’t free; we pay for them with our taxes.

• Amy says:

I addition to my taxes which I gladly pay to support the library, I pay a lot in late fees as my way to further support the library :).

• Kyle Bachman says:

Hey– math might be a little inflated, but libraries give great return on investment- in my opinion!! Something there for almost everyone, and everyone is welcome.

• Claudia says:

Me too!

• Nicole says:

Robinson Crusoe is just the last book listed. There were likely several more books being checked out at the same time.
    It says you saved that amount, not that it was free.

• Lynn says:

Late fees are a decision. You can sometimes call or renew a book online.

• Linda says:

Wichita Public Library was my only library (besides public school and university libraries) for the first half of my life. I’m 70 now. I’m sure WPL has saved me lots. So have San Bernardino County, San Bernardino City, Riverside County, Fresno County, Tulare County, and Kern County library systems. I love being able to support my library with my taxes. Also with my late fees. Also with purchasing at the Friends of the Library book sales.