Back in 2017, Coursera co-founder and former Stanford computer science professor Andrew Ng launched a five-part series of courses on “Deep Learning” on the edtech platform, a series meant to “help you master Deep Learning, apply it effectively, and build a career in AI.” These courses extended his initial Machine Learning course, which has attracted almost 5 million students since 2012, in an effort, he said, to build “a new AI-powered society.”
Ng’s goals are ambitious, to “teach millions of people to use these AI tools so they can go and invent the things that no large company, or company I could build, could do.” His new Machine Learning Specialization at Coursera takes him several steps further in that direction with an “updated version of [his] pioneering Machine Learning course,” notes Coursera’s description, providing “a broad introduction to modern machine learning.” The specialization‘s three courses include 1) Supervised Machine Learning: Regression and Classification, 2) Advanced Learning Algorithms, and 3) Unsupervised Learning, Recommenders, Reinforcement Learning. Collectively, the courses in the specialization will teach you to:
- Build machine learning models in Python using popular machine learning libraries NumPy and scikit-learn.
- Build and train supervised machine learning models for prediction and binary classification tasks, including linear regression and logistic regression.
- Build and train a neural network with TensorFlow to perform multi-class classification.
- Apply best practices for machine learning development so that your models generalize to data and tasks in the real world.
- Build and use decision trees and tree ensemble methods, including random forests and boosted trees.
- Use unsupervised learning techniques for unsupervised learning: including clustering and anomaly detection.
- Build recommender systems with a collaborative filtering approach and a content-based deep learning method.
- Build a deep reinforcement learning model.
The skills students learn in Ng’s specialization will bring them closer to careers in big data, machine learning, and AI engineering. Enroll in Ng’s Specialization here free for 7 days and explore the materials in all three courses. If you’re convinced the specialization is for you, you’ll pay $49 per month until you complete the three-course specialization, and you’ll earn a certificate upon completion of a hands-on project using all of your new machine learning skills. You can sign up for the Machine Learning Specialization here.
Note: Open Culture has a partnership with Coursera. If readers enroll in certain Coursera courses and programs, it helps support Open Culture.
New Deep Learning Courses Released on Coursera, with Hope of Teaching Millions the Basics of Artificial Intelligence
Coursera Makes Courses & Certificates Free During Coronavirus Quarantine: Take Courses in Psychology, Music, Wellness, Professional Development & More Online
Google & Coursera Launch Career Certificates That Prepare Students for Jobs in 6 Months: Data Analytics, Project Management and UX Design
Google Unveils a Digital Marketing & E-Commerce Certificate: 7 Courses Will Help Prepare Students for an Entry-Level Job in 6 Months
Josh Jones is a writer and musician based in Durham, NC. Follow him at @jdmagness
Leave a Reply