Hear The Epic of Gilgamesh Read in the Original Akkadian and Enjoy the Sounds of Mesopotamia

gilgamesh sound

Long ago, in the ancient civilization of Mesopotamia, Akkadian was the dominant language. And, for centuries, it remained the lingua franca in the Ancient Near East. But then it was gradually squeezed out by Aramaic, and it faded into oblivion once Alexander the Great Hellenized (Greekified) the region.

Now, 2,000+ years later, Akkadian is making a small comeback. At Cambridge University, Dr. Martin Worthington, an expert in Babylonian and Assyrian grammar, has started recording readings of poems, myths and other texts in Akkadian, including The Epic of Gilgamesh. This clip gives you a taste of what Gilgamesh, one of the earliest known works of literature, sounds like in its mother tongue. Or, you can jump into the full collection of readings right here.

via Heritage Key

World Literature in 13 Parts: From Gilgamesh to García Márquez

The Ancient History Learning Guide

What Ancient Greek Music Sounded Like: Hear a Reconstruction That is ‘100% Accurate’

1. James Westfall says . . . | October 30, 2013 / 6:02 pm

This is wonderful!

2. linda says . . . | October 30, 2013 / 7:21 pm

How beautiful!

3. MichaelZWilliamson says . . . | October 30, 2013 / 9:26 pm

I liked it better in the original Klingon.

4. Doug M says . . . | October 31, 2013 / 8:27 pm

Sounds very close to a mix of Hebrew and Arabec n

5. Doug M says . . . | October 31, 2013 / 8:29 pm

Sounds like a mix of Hebrew and Arabic. Very nice!

6. Ranee says . . . | November 1, 2013 / 6:48 am

I’m surprised how much it sounds like Hebrew :O Surprisingly beautiful, too!

7. Ofra says . . . | November 1, 2013 / 8:34 am

It does not sound like Hebrew at all. I speak Hebrew from birth;I should know! It sounds a little like Arabaic, but only because the reader prononces some word like Arabic. Those who speak Semitic languages understand that none of them sound alike.

8. Ron F says . . . | November 1, 2013 / 8:46 am

u05e2u05d1u05e8u05d9u05ea u05d6u05d4 u05dcu05d0nnnvery interesting. doesn’t sound anything like Hebrew, except maybe the word aram. but half the time it sounds like an arab accent.

9. Zak says . . . | November 1, 2013 / 5:18 pm

Lovely, but did the guy have to be so monotonous? :(

10. Karen Pierce Gonzalez says . . . | November 1, 2013 / 5:33 pm

This is absolutely beautiful! Loved listening to it… I agree that it does sound like it could’ve been a Semitic language family member. Thank you very much for making this clip available…

11. Banksiaman says . . . | November 2, 2013 / 3:13 am

Thanks for posting – will definitely make time to listen to the full text. Dont know my Akkadian from my elbow, but presumably this was spoken and listened to by most people rather than read, and the cadence and rhythyms convey a lot of the story’s drama. No different to hearing bits of Homer – you hear it and can tell its a big story, not a soap powder advert.

12. guest says . . . | November 2, 2013 / 7:03 am

How did they know how it should sound?

13. Joshua Jeffery says . . . | November 2, 2013 / 11:49 am

Since we don’t really know what classical Greek sounds like, I suspect that this is a “best guess” to what it originally sounded like. Regardless, its cool.

14. Michael Lee Ru00f6hm says . . . | November 2, 2013 / 10:11 pm

This is lovely. I know next to nothing about Akkadian, but it sounds like a lovely language.

15. M says . . . | November 3, 2013 / 6:51 pm

Akkadian is a Semitic language. One way scholars reconstruct the pronunciation of Akkadian is through comparative Semitics (i.e. studying the pronunciation of Arabic and other Semitic languages currently spoken to reconstruct earlier forms based on rules of linguistic change.)

16. tyrannius says . . . | November 10, 2013 / 3:40 pm

And to people who don’t speak Semitic languages, they do sound alike.

17. Hamiit Qliji Berai says . . . | December 1, 2013 / 3:04 pm

Only unscrupulousness can cause such “Foolishnlies”!nnFirstly, imagine this, my name u2013 Qliji – is simple to pronounce,nbut apparently it is too difficult for westerners to pronounce it correctly. NownI cannot understand, how can a westerner make sure the pronunciation of a scriptnfrom ca. 1800 BC from the same region and the same kind as the Qliji?nnSecondly, during the past two decades, I did my best to makenpeople aware of the fact that contemporary translations of the ancient NearnEast scripts are hoaxes. With hundreds of examples, in the Bible Discovered: Biblen= Babel (Babylon), I substantiated the fact that names like Gilgamesh, Sumerian,nBabylonian, Akkadian etc. are false, but some people do not like to understandnthat; they shamelessly continue the crime of falsifying of historical documentsn and lying to the world. nThey continue their contribution to genocide by falsifying ofnthe Kurdish historical documents and destroying of the cultural heritages ofnthe Kurdish nation.

18. Yaqub says . . . | December 5, 2013 / 3:13 pm

This explains it briefly. Basically a lot of what we know comes from surviving related languages. This was relatively “easy” with Akkadian, since we have multiple dialects of Arabic, Aramaic, Hebrew, and Amharic to go on, seeing how different roots and sounds can change with place and time, and thereby being able to make an educated prediction as to where Akkadian would have been plotted within the Semitic family. nnWith Ancient Egyptian it was significantly more difficult, as its descendants only survive in the liturgical language of the Coptic Church, and in Greek transliterations of Egyptian words.nnhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Semitic_languages

19. Victor Mendoza says . . . | December 6, 2013 / 8:37 am

I’m with you 100% but to make people believe that what “scientists” say is false, is very difficult

20. Cem says . . . | December 7, 2013 / 4:07 am

Mr. Berai. I agree with your concerns. I think westerners can’t do this job well. Can you name a easterner scientist working on these issues please?nnLet me answer, there isn’t one.nSo I don’t find anything logical in just blaming them and telling them they are liars. This is just disrespecting their long time efforts trying to reveal a language. They don’t deserve it.

21. Hamiit Qliji Berai says . . . | December 7, 2013 / 12:12 pm

Dear Cem, nWhat did you looking for? It does not matter of the westerners or easterners! nnAs I said in the book: Bible Discovered Bible = Babel (Babylon) I have proved that the decipherment of the ancient Near East scripts are hoaxes.nYou should read the book. nFor more take a look at the blog of Bible Discovered on: http://hqberai.blogspot.com/

22. riana says . . . | February 10, 2014 / 12:33 am

Thanks. I just used it to make my children’s study of ancient cultures more alive.(aged 10 and 8)