Hear Homer’s Iliad Read in the Original Ancient Greek

Sure, you enjoyed hearing the way Ancient Greek music actually sounded last week, but what about the way Ancient Greek poetry actually sounded? We can find fewer finer or more recognizable examples of the stuff than Homer’s Iliad, and above you can hear a reading of a section of the Iliad (Book 23, Lines 62-107 )  in the original Ancient Greek language. It comes from what may strike you as an unlikely source: Stanley Lombardo, a University of Kansas classicist (and also, as it happens, a Zen Buddhist) best known for his translations of the Iliad, the Odyssey, and Virgil’s Aeneid into contemporary-sounding English. “Sounding less like aristocratic warriors than like American G.I.’s, perhaps,” writes classics-steeped critic Daniel Mendelsohn in the New York Times review of Lombardo’s Iliad, “his epic heroes ‘badmouth’ and ‘beat the daylights out of one another and witheringly call one another ‘trash’ and ‘pansy.'”

But Lombardo knows thoroughly the material he adapts. Even those of us who never learned Ancient Greek — if I may speak for this presumably large group of readers — can get a feel for Homer’s tale of the Trojan War and the soldiers’ long return home by listening to the professor’s delivery alone. Just above, you can see him give a reading from his English translation. It won’t surprise you to learn that he also reads the audio books. “We listened spellbound to the incantatory waves of Professor Stanley Lombardo’s voice telling the stories of Odysseus and his Odyssey and then those of the Trojan heroes of The Illiad,” writes Andrei Codrescu in an article on them for the Villager. “Professor Lombardo translated anew the immortal epics and immersed himself so deeply in their world his voice sounded as believable as the hills and valleys we crossed. His voice knows the tales and their enduring charms, and sounds for all the world like an ancient bard’s. Homer himself couldn’t have done better. In English no less, millennia later.”

What Ancient Greek Music Sounded Like: Hear a Reconstruction That is ‘100% Accurate’

Hear The Epic of Gilgamesh Read in the Original Akkadian, the Language of Mesopotamia

What Shakespeare Sounded Like to Shakespeare: Reconstructing the Bard’s Original Pronunciation

Homer’s Iliad and Odyssey: Free AudioBooks & eBooks

Colin Marshall hosts and produces Notebook on Cities and Culture and writes essays on literature, film, cities, Asia, and aesthetics. He’s at work on a book about Los AngelesA Los Angeles Primer. Follow him on Twitter at @colinmarshall.

• christina says:

His reading in english from the Illiad is superb, I could be listening to him for hours. But the piece in ancient greek is so ‘infected’ with american accent I found it almost incomprehensible (and I am a greek who studies literature).

• Hermes says:

But the “greeks” today has NOTHING to do with the ancient ones, they speak another language; it would be like an Italian trying to correct the accent of ancient Romans.

• George says:

Many words have changed as grammar but it is familiar.Now we speak “demotiki” but until a few years back we used “kathareuousa”which was somewhat closer to ancient greek,not similar.Even if we do not speak the ancient is not a strange language to us, and if you listen a modern greek read ancient greek you will see the difference.

• christina says:

• Michael Lane says:

Iliad, no Odyssey (sic).

• mrl says:

this sounds bad from a greek speaker perspective

• Greco says:

As I mentioned in the “What ancient Greek music sounded like” topic: in a remote part of Turkey near the Black Sea (in the heart of the ancient Greek world!) an ancient form of old Greek is still spoken. Romeika or Romeyka.nnOne thing it still has is the use of the ‘infinitive’ which modern Greek has lost.nnhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcAYP4irSyQ

• Apostolis says:

Someone should tell him that’s not Greek! Why every foreigner who wants to study Greek does it in the Erasmus’ way? It is totally wrong! Philosophically and melodically

• kokirii says:

page title says “Odyssey,” recording is of “Iliad”…

• sofia says:

All languages evolve and ancient greek and modern greek are exactly the same language 3 thousands years apart. To a native Greek speaker it is familiar and would have been more so 30 years ago before the language was ‘simplified’. In order to study modern Greek and modern Greek literature in depth, a knowledge of ancient Greek is compulsory. The syntax and the vocabulary may be different but it still lies at the core of the language spoken today. There are also words in use today that you will find in Homeric texts, completely unchanged in nearly 3000 years.

• Shimke says:

As a native speaker of English, I would probably find Shakespeare hard to follow if pronounced as it was in his time; I would certainly find Chaucer odd; as for Beowulf, I doubt if I would understand more than a word here and there. But I am willing to accept that scholars can get closer to the language they SPOKE better than I can. Why are the Greeks so resistent to this seemingly common-sense notion?

• Leonard says:

Where may I hear Homer in Greek, spoken by a native Greek?

I think it is wrong to say that modern Greeks do not know how to speak the Greek of their ancestors. While it may be true that we do not have recordings of Greek spoken at Homer’s time, or of Herodotus, or in Athens or Sparta or Ionia or other places, we still have the descendants, speaking a living language.

• ioannisS says:

@Leonard (April 27, 2014)

you can try my YouTube channel at

for free content (usually free samples of my audiobooks in ancient Greek), or more and complete works on my website http://www.Podium-Arts.com

For those who ask why Greeks are resistant to a pronunciation different from modern Greek, it’s mostly because of an inadequate educational system and ignorance of the writings of the ancient grammarians.
    If one would only tell them where to look at…

Another reason is the belief (Zeus knows where it comes from!) that anyone pronouncing differently has inimical motives, touching their very right to identify themselves as descendants of the ancients.

It’s totally absurd

• criss stanculescu says:

I am romanian i speak 3 languages and for me it was odd and full of american accent. Very good ideea but maybe an actual greek wil do better?

• Constantin Spantidakis says:

Yes, there is a bit of english accent, but this is the very pronunciation of Ancient Greek. Modern Greeks (I am) are chauvinistic.

• Andrei says:

I am not Greek, but I have lived in Greece and learned modern Greek.
    This lecture has a horrid American accent. Not even an English accent. It’s just the way vowels and consonants are pronounced. In a total foreign way to anything Greek. Imagine a Chinese would read Shakespeare. No matter how hard he’d try, he just can’t sound credible.
    I have the same feeling when an American says he speaks in classical Latin, claiming to use the “right way to pronounce it”.
    Please understand that it doesn’t have to do with modern Greek versus ancient Greek. It just sounds American. The r’s are too soft, the a should never sound like an ai. He just reads classical Greek almost the way he would read English.

• Nike says:

I have a major in Ancient Greek and am currently learning the modern language. There are MANY radical differences in pronunciation between the two languages, much less in vocabulary. In consequence, I can read Greek newspapers with relative ease, but no one could possibly understand what I say. For instance:

Beta is ‘b’ in Ancient Greek (AGRK), ‘v’ in modern (MGRK).
    Gamma is hard ‘g’in AGRK, and a voiced velar or palatal fricative in MGRK (there is no English equivalent).
    Chi is an aspirated ‘k’ (say ‘kuh’ while forcefully breathing out) in AGRK, Chi is usually ‘h’ in MGRK.
    Theta is an aspirated ‘t’ in AGRK, in MGRK it is the ‘th’ in
    ‘the’.

The list goes on…

Additionally, almost all the vowels and dipthongs are completely different.

Ancient Greek has 13 different vowels and even more diphthongs, Modern Greek has 5 different vowels.

It is no surprise this sounds weird to a Modern Greek speaker.