A quick fyi: Yesterday, Stanford Continuing Studies opened up registration for its summer lineup of online writing courses. Offered in partnership with the Stanford Creative Writing Program (one of the most distinguished writing programs in the country), these online courses give beginning and advanced writers, no matter where they live, the chance to refine their craft with gifted writing instructors.
Caveat emptor: These classes are not free, and I helped set them up. So while I wholeheartedly believe in these courses, you can take my views with a grain of salt.
- Introduction to Creative Writing
- Novel Writing: Making a Great Debut
- Short Story Writing
- Creative Nonfiction: Beginning Your Book
- Creative Nonfiction for Magazines
- Fiction Writing: The Short Story Cycle
- Poetry: Writing the Moment
By the way, if you live in the San Francisco Bay Area and want to keep the mind engaged, give some thought to Stanford Continuing Studies. Our full summer catalogue is here.