As he kicked off a summer vacation, President Obama released last week a free 39-song playlist for a summer day–essentially a soundtrack for a summer vacation. He also shared his summer reading list–five books which offer, notes the White House, “a mix of fiction and non-fiction, including a Pulitzer Prize-winning surf memoir, a psychological thriller, and a science fiction novel. They include:
- Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life by William Finnegan
- The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
- H Is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald
- The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
- Seveneves by Neal Stephenson
For anyone interested in revisiting Pres. Obama’s five picks from last summer, we have them here:
- All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert
- The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow
If you would like to sign up for Open Culture’s free email newsletter, please find it here.
If you would like to support the mission of Open Culture, consider making a donation to our site. It’s hard to rely 100% on ads, and your contributions will help us continue providing the best free cultural and educational materials to learners everywhere. You can contribute through PayPal, Patreon, and Venmo (@openculture). Thanks!