French in Action: Cult Classic French Lessons from Yale (52 Episodes)

During the 1980s, Pierre Capretz, a Yale professor, developed French in Action, a French immersion program that featured textbooks, workbooks, and a 52-episode television series. Aired on PBS, the television series gained a devoted following and, years later, a 25th anniversary celebration at Yale asked the question: Is it fair to say that French in Action now has a cult following?

You can watch French in Action for free online at the Annenberg Learner website. (Scroll down the page to find the videos.) The program follows the adventures of Robert Taylor, an American student, and Mireille Belleau, a young French woman. And each 30 minute episode provides a context for learning new words and expressions. (A couple of episodes generated a little controversy, we should note.) The show is conducted entirely in French.

French in Action appears in our collection of Free Language Lessons, which now offers primers in over 40 languages, including Spanish, Mandarin, Italian and beyond.

Share on TwitterShare via emailShare on LinkedInShare on TumblrSubmit to StumbleUponDigg ThisSubmit to reddit

1. Ruben says . . . | November 17, 2011 / 1:16 pm

The free videos are only watchable if you are in United States or Canada :(

2. jennie w. says . . . | November 19, 2011 / 4:55 am

Loved these videos. I still have my textbook that went along with the series. It was so scandalous to my high school self that Mireille would go braless!

3. Vicky says . . . | December 9, 2011 / 8:21 am

@Ruben I believe that they are also available via youtube. Maybe you can try seeing them there.

4. Sean says . . . | December 13, 2011 / 11:05 am

Only available in US and Canada? So what the hell are you doing on the WORLD WIDE web?

5. Tormentilla says . . . | April 11, 2012 / 1:37 pm

Only available for US and Canada users…

6. Gene says . . . | May 22, 2012 / 7:50 pm

This approach is not for everyone. They talk way too fast.

7. john doe says . . . | May 28, 2012 / 7:04 pm

put your FUCKERS programs en in shit bathroom of your houses motherfuckers

8. Derp says . . . | August 18, 2012 / 3:47 pm

Vicky, I could kiss you.

9. Parviz says . . . | January 8, 2013 / 10:17 am

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN
    I love to learn French language a.s.a.p. and this is all I want to do.

Regards
    Parviz

10. germiles says . . . | February 3, 2013 / 11:10 pm

i just amor french in action especially mirrielle, and her little sis, marie.oui,oui,loves and kisses

11. Bill Notgrass says . . . | August 3, 2013 / 9:57 am

Transcripts of the lessons would help us to learn the lessons! At least it would give us an idea of the action.

12. Annabella Gualdoni says . . . | September 9, 2013 / 3:27 pm

Bill-They aren’t transcripts, but the textbook and workbook do help to supplement the videos. You can buy inexpensive used copies on Amazon.

13. Guest says . . . | September 9, 2013 / 3:29 pm

While not transcripts, you can buy the textbook and workbook, which are helpful supplements.

14. uneydr says . . . | October 3, 2013 / 9:21 am

Can anyone tell me where to find the documents needed to do some exercises? I have a photocopied Texbook & workbook, but aside from the sole main document at the end of the lessons, I can’t find the documents 1A, 2 anywhere :(

15. uneydr says . . . | October 3, 2013 / 9:22 am

Can you tell me where to find the documents needed to do some nexercises? I have a photocopied Texbook & workbook, but aside from nthe sole main document at the end of the lessons, I can’t find the ndocuments 1A, 2 anywhere :(

16. Annabella Gualdoni says . . . | October 3, 2013 / 9:28 am

As far as I know there aren’t any additional documents. The Textbook and workbook do skip a fair amount of the material in the program.

17. Annabella Gualdoni says . . . | October 3, 2013 / 9:28 am

18. uneydr says . . . | October 4, 2013 / 1:02 am

Thank you very much!nI thought they were in the Study Guide or some materials that I couldn’t obtain. Seems like I have to give up on those exercises :/

19. jm says . . . | February 8, 2014 / 12:03 pm

Thanks for this. Great approach. And yes, I’m in love with Mireille

20. dave says . . . | February 24, 2014 / 6:47 pm

whoever needs the transcripts, send me an email and I will gladly share this magnificent french course transcript, so you will understand even more.

21. Mike says . . . | April 8, 2014 / 6:36 am

Dave. I would like the transcripts. How do I email you.
    Mike

22. Classis says . . . | April 9, 2014 / 7:55 am

Dave, I, too, would love the transcript as well. I found some of the translations of some words/phrases (not verbatim) on what turned out to be an ad for Memorize.com, but I can’t find the remainder 50 lessons. I think that was a tease just to get me to sign up. I am most grateful to you for sending whatever you have. Many thanks…..