Artistic Maps of Pakistan & India Show the Embroidery Techniques of Their Different Regions

Journalist Saima Mir posted to Twitter this "map of Pakistan showing the embroidery techniques of its regions." And, sure enough, it led to someone surfacing a corresponding map of Pakistan's neighbor, India. The underlying message of the maps? It's to show, as @AlmostLived noted, "how diverse elements come together to make beautiful things." The map above was originally produced by Generation, a Pakistani fashion company. We're not clear on the origin of the India map, unfortunately.

via Boing Boing

Follow Open Culture on Facebook and Twitter and share intelligent media with your friends. Or better yet, sign up for our daily email and get a daily dose of Open Culture in your inbox.

If you'd like to support Open Culture and our mission, please consider making a donation to our site. It's hard to rely 100% on ads, and your contributions will help us provide the best free cultural and educational materials.

New BBC Dramatization of Salman Rushdie’s Midnight’s Children Now Streaming Free for a Limited Time

Pakistani Musicians Play an Enchanting Version of Dave Brubeck’s Jazz Classic, “Take Five”

Pakistani Immigrant Goes to a Led Zeppelin Concert, Gets Inspired to Become a Musician & Then Sells 30 Million Albums

Introduction to Indian Philosophy: A Free Online Course

India’s Answer to M.I.T. Presents 268 Free Online Courses (in English)

• SB_London says:

Really good to see though I think there is much more overlap between neighbouring states/provinces in the two countries.

• Ilmana Fasih says:

Just to clarify, I had originally posted the two maps first and days before Saima Mir saw it on my post.
    I saw the Indian map first several days ago, then my daughter found the Pakistani.
    Being an Indian-Pakistani I found it natural to put them together especially on 14/15 August. I have never wished for Independence Day to India and Pakistan separately for past 27 years.
    Saima got back to me to ask its source. I just suggested to her to please share both instead of only Pakistan’s.
    Here is my original link. https://www.facebook.com/quraishi.ilmana/posts/1635223213156907?pnref=story

• Asif Shaikh says:

Indian maps, confusing weather its weaves, embroidery, painting, printing / texture.
    In Gujarat most important textile is Patan Patola ( Double Ikat ).

• Asif shaikh says:

Confusing map
    Bandhni , kalamkari and different weaves are not embroidery.
    If it is textiles, Patan Patola (double Ikat ) from Gujarat is very important textile.

• Alyson says:

I’m a little disappointed to see that the maps are not fabric but photoshopped.

• KEEF DROGAN says:

I can’t even begin to imagine how many textiles would’ve been destroyed to make a map such as this one! I’m absolutely fine with the photoshop versions for that very reason.

• Debopriya says:

Jamdani is from Bangladesh. West bengal is famous for tant ..

• Sana says:

“Craft”, not all are “embroidery”. Please fix the title.

• Lisa says:

I wonder Why Bangladesh (East Bengal as in those days) is left out of the Map ?
    Is there a particular Reason as to Why ?

• saha says:

A miss leading Indian map.

The style Jamdani is originated and mostly practiced in Bangladesh , not In west Bengal.UNESCO has recently declared Traditional art of Jamdani weaving as Intangible cultural heritage Mentioning Bangladesh as the state party of Origin.(https://ich.unesco.org/en/RL/traditional-art-of-jamdani-weaving-00879)

• Basma says:

The cross stitch embroidery shown on Pakistan map, south next to the Ralli , is not Pakistani work, it’s surely cross stitch but it’s a known Palestinian motif. Perhaps they didn’t read the title well since they both start with a “P”
    :D