Books Savored in Stop Motion Film

This wonderful stop motion film makes you pine for the good old fashioned printed book, perhaps because we all realize that Gutenberg’s gift will eventually give way to the Kindle and other devices. The three minute film (officially entitled This is Where We Live) was shot over three weeks in autumn 2008 to celebrate the 25th anniversary of 4th Estate Publishers. No less than 20 animators took part in the project, and no less than 1000 books were put to use.

Designrelated.com takes a little closer look at the making of the nostalgia-inducing film. Big thanks to Mike for the good find…

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook!

1. mateo says . . . | November 12, 2010 / 6:31 am

fantastic website, fantastic post..

Wouldnt this be an example of “stop motion” instead of “time lapse”..?

either way its great tho…

2. Dan Colman says . . . | November 12, 2010 / 9:11 am

You are totally right. I wasn’t thinking. Revised the post.

Thanks and cheers,
    Dan

3. Culdivsac says . . . | November 12, 2010 / 10:23 am

The design.com link at the end leads back to this very page.

4. Culdivsac says . . . | November 12, 2010 / 10:23 am

sorry, designrelated.com

5. Blake says . . . | November 13, 2010 / 4:35 am

Oh, please! The printed book is not old-fashioned nor will it ever give way to the Kindle. Do you own Amazon stock? You sure do go on about the Kindle.

6. Dan Colman says . . . | November 13, 2010 / 3:03 pm

Blake,

My feelings about the Kindle are mixed. I have said some positive things and negative things. But just yesterday I received this comment reacting to my previous complaints about the Kindle. I can’t win :)

“Dan I sure am glad I missed your comments to begin with. Had I gone with what you had to say I would never have paid out ten cents to own a kindle. Now that I own a kindle. You could not buy mine from me for any amount of money. I would pony up a thousand dollars to own a kindle now that I have used one for more than ten minutes. Should you wish to take mine away from me bring a big stick and a sack lunch. You just do not have the co`jones to take mine from me. This is a case of I sure am glad you are so wrong in your negative assessment….”

Dan

7. Miti Aiello says . . . | November 13, 2010 / 10:54 pm

Yours is one of the most influential blogs for culture lovers. Beautifully designed and organized.Thank you for all your work and your brilliant finds! I love film noir and books- among other things and I am so excited to see this short on books and check out the film noirs listed in your collection.
    I will repost about this short, the writing studio (architecture!). I am excited to implement ‘Ways of Seeing’ in my next history of Art class. Thank you again , this site and blog are such gifts.

8. Dan Colman says . . . | November 14, 2010 / 9:52 pm

Hi Miti,

Just wanted to say a big thanks for you kind words. This kind of appreciation makes it a pleasure to work on the site.

Regards,