17-Year-Old Joan Baez Performs at Famous “Club 47” in Cambridge, MA (1958)

The video above brings you way back (we think) to 1958, when Joan Baez was only 17, to a concert she played at the legendary Club 47 in Cambridge, Mass. While the teenage ingénue broke onto the folk scene, Bob Dylan was still a student back in Hibbing, Minnesota. Five years later, Baez introduced Dylan to the music world; the two dated for a while; and then, even while going their separate ways, they put their stamp on the 60s folk scene – a story that gets well documented in the book, Positively 4th Street: The Lives and Times of Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Mimi Baez Farina and Richard Farina. If you click here, you can watch Baez, now in her prime, perform a complete concert in 1965. The show runs 65 minutes and features 18 songs.

Follow Open Culture on Facebook and Twitter and share intelligent media with your friends. Or better yet, sign up for our daily email and get a daily dose of Open Culture in your inbox.

If you'd like to support Open Culture and our mission, please consider making a donation to our site. It's hard to rely 100% on ads, and your contributions will help us provide the best free cultural and educational materials.

Woody Guthrie’s Fan Letter To John Cage and Alan Hovhaness (1947)

Two Legends Together: A Young Bob Dylan Talks and Plays on The Studs Terkel Program, 1963

The Alan Lomax Sound Archive Now Online: Features 17,000 Recordings

Support Open Culture

We're hoping to rely on our loyal readers rather than erratic ads. To support Open Culture's continued operation, please consider making a donation. We thank you!

• Bob says:

Lovely! Thanks, what a great voice.

• My perfect woman. I can’t imagine anyone more beautiful or with a nicer personality. I’ve been in love with her since I was about 17 myself (now 63).

Happy birthday Joan and many of them. Thanks for everything you’ve given the world.

• liza says:

Beautiful clip. Happy birthday Joan.

I don’t think that she introduced Dylan to the music world, though. He was already part of the Greenwich Village Folk scene when they met. Read a textured and detailed description of those days in Alix Dobkin’s memoir, My Red Blood. http://www.alyson.com/9781593501075.html

• I have always loved Joan’s music. I was looking forward to seeing a video clip of her singing or talking at age 70yrs.

When I was in my teens and twenty’s I used to walk around the house singing her songs and people thought I sounded like her! I doubted it and put it down to our similar physical features because they also said I looked like her. Then, I met her cousin in Boston (whose name now slips my mind). I met him via his then girlfriend, a classical musician acquaintance whom I had previously met in Tokyo where I was living. He told me, “gee… you really look like my cousin, Joan”. I smiled and realized for the first time that perhaps others telling me I look(ed) like her must be true after all. Strangely, we do have the same hair style both then and now.

May you live until 120yrs Joan – and anyway you will live on beyond that in the hearts and minds of many…

Suzette

• Tinkie says:

Happy Birthday and truly, thank you, for your beautiful songs and their meaningfull words.

• mike says:

great video clip. ty.

• Bill Crawford says:

Happy Birthday Joan!!!!!! I met you twice–once in Orlando and once in Tampa Florida. I have spoken to your son Gabe a few times about music. Thank you for making the world a more beautiful and humane place. God Bless You on your special day!!!

• Liz says:

Sorry, but she turned 70 in January!