Everything Is Rhythm

“Foli” is the word used for rhythm by the Malinke tribe in West Africa. But Foli is not only found in Malinke music, but in all parts of their daily lives. Directed by Thomas Roebers, this short film portrays the people of Baro, a small town in eastern-central Guinea, and gives you a glimpse inside their culture of rhythm. As the Malinke man says, “Tous les choses, c’est du rythme.” (“Everything is rhythm.”) What makes this film even more beautiful is the fact that it was edited so as to reflect Malinke rhythms.

By profession, Matthias Rascher teaches English and History at a High School in northern Bavaria, Germany. In his free time he scours the web for good links and posts the best finds on Twitter.

1. Natasha Chowdory says . . . | April 7, 2011 / 6:18 am

You just gave me my opening quote for my dissertation. Or well, a quote that can go somewhere. Amazing. :D

2. Natasha Chowdory says . . . | April 7, 2011 / 6:18 am

3. Agnieszka Krzeminska says . . . | April 7, 2011 / 2:02 pm

Awesome movie thanks!

May you’ll like the following movies i made, compiled from footage from Kenya with traditional musicians and the composing sessions of german musician Sven Kacirek at his home.

4. The Bean Curd Boxer says . . . | April 18, 2011 / 9:52 am

Captivating, provocative and Inspiring. It made me immediately want to write about something analogous in the world of Tai Chi. So I scribbled something http://www.teapotmonk.com. Thanks for this wonderful video

5. Stephen Forsythe says . . . | August 19, 2011 / 5:28 am

This is awesome. Can I get a download so I’m sure it will play to the kids in my classroom?

6. Joyce says . . . | August 20, 2011 / 6:07 pm

Do you have Real Player ? When the video starts just let the mouse hover over the upper right hand corner of the video and a box will appear that says download this video. Real Player Downloader will open and download the video. Then when it’s done under the title, let your mouse hover there and several things will appear one being convert. Then Real Player Converter will open. Lat year at my school the techie people said to convert to WMV. Just watch where you save it so you know where to find it !! I save to My Documents. Good Luck.
    Love this video and and can’t wait to use it. What an intro to rhythm and my African drumming unit !!!

7. Alan says . . . | April 12, 2012 / 12:12 am

foli is the verb to play. Djembefola means djembe player. Fo = play an instrument. It also means to speak on or with an instrument.

8. Marianne says . . . | October 16, 2012 / 5:33 pm

This video took me “back home” to Mali where I lived for 2 years! What a beautiful portrayal of the culture, the music, and the complex rhythms of that part of the world. Thank you to the creators for making and posting this video!!