As he kicked off a summer vacation, President Obama released last week a free 39-song playlist for a summer day–essentially a soundtrack for a summer vacation. He also shared his summer reading list–five books which offer, notes the White House, “a mix of fiction and non-fiction, including a Pulitzer Prize-winning surf memoir, a psychological thriller, and a science fiction novel. They include:
- Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life by William Finnegan
- The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
- H Is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald
- The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
- Seveneves by Neal Stephenson
For anyone interested in revisiting Pres. Obama’s five picks from last summer, we have them here:
- All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert
- The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow
Follow Open Culture on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google Plus, and Flipboard and share intelligent media with your friends. Or better yet, sign up for our daily email and get a daily dose of Open Culture in your inbox. To make sure that our posts definitely appear in your Facebook newsfeed, just follow these simple steps.
If you’d like to help support Open Culture, please sign up for a 30-day free trial from Audible.com or The Great Courses Plus. You will get free audio books and free courses in return. No strings attached.