Is news entertainment? To what extent has local news consumption decreased given the alternatives? Deion is an on-air reporter for NBC Montana who was recently memified for fleeing amusingly from some bison. He joins your hosts Mark Linsenmayer, Erica Spyres, and Brian Hirt to discuss what we might be missing out on, the uses and abuses of news coverage, reality vs. media portrayals, and the current status of “trusted news reporter” in our collective consciousness.
Here are a few relevant articles to peruse:
- “Why Does Local News Matter? Let’s Ask Our Audience” by Melody Kramer
- “Local News is the ‘Biggest Crisis’ in Journalism, but a Sustainability Campaign is Underway” by Mark Jacob
- “Newspaper Decline and the Effect of Local Government Coverage” by Jay Jennings
- “Local Newspapers Will Stand the Test of Time — Here’s Why” by Adam Signolda
- “Why Viewers Trust Local Political Coverage” by Hank Price
- “Industry Insight: Local Sports Coverage Needs to Adapt to the Modern Newsroom” by Matt DeRienzo