74 Free Banned Books (for Banned Books Week)

To commemorate Banned Books Week, the always great Internet Archive has opened up access to 74 banned books. The collection features some serious pieces of literature (James Joyce’s Ulysses, F. Scott Fitzgerald’s Tender is the Night, Huxley’s Brave New World, etc.); some traditional children’s classics (Winnie the Pooh); and some sinister books of unquestionable historical importance (Mein Kampf). These books can be downloaded in multiple digital formats, including sometimes ePub and Kindle formats. This gives you the ability to read the the works on the KindleiPad, Nook and other mainstream ebook readers. (See note below.) But the old fashioned computer will also do the job.

Censorship remains a serious problem in the US and beyond. The American Library Association recorded 460 attempts in 2009 to restrict books in US schools and libraries. But they estimate that this represents only 20-25% of actual attempts to censor. All of this censorship is neatly (and rather specifically) tracked on Google Maps.

NOTE: Please see our previous post describing how to add files to the Kindle. Meanwhile this page describes how to transfer ePub files to the iPad.

• bob says:

Where’s the link to the collection?

• Dan Colman says:

Sorry about that. I added it in the post. But it also here:

• Heather Perkinson says:

are they available for free indefinitely or is there a time limit related to Banned Books Week’s dates?

• Hotrao says:

I think culture is also this: having masterpieces available to everybody at no cost.

This doesn’t mean you don’t always have to pay for culture (this discussion will take a lot of time), but a basic layer of commonly intended masterpieces should be available for free.

• Dan Colman says:

Hi Heather,

I’m pretty sure that these books are part of their permanent collection. So you shouldn’t have a problem accessing them down the road. My guess is that Gutenberg makes most, if not all, of the books available too.

• I have Kindle for the iPhone. I also have iBooks. What’s the easiest way to get some of these books from their download links onto my iPhone for future reading?

• Dan Colman says:

I added links to instructions at the bottom of the post.

• laserbabe says:

Most of these books are also available through LibriVox. So the question of large body of literature being available at no cost to the masses…solved. Now, how do we make sure the masses know where to find these works? Share the links every chance you get.

• Winnie the Pooh for Kindle says “Not available due to issues with the item’s content”.

Oh, yeah, seditious indeed. I grew up reading that book, it’s amazing I’m not a commie pinko revolutionary.

• Finally, in case you don’t know, Amazon has just put a price slash on the Kindle 2, and it is now selling $100 cheaper than the price I got my Kindle, and it adds in international wireless access and native PDF support… So take the chance if you want it

• Llrichsards12 says:

have more sex

• The Winnie The pooh ebook from archive.org disabled, maybe by google ebooks I don’t no, no freedom on the web maybe, you get this message on access their ebook page, and removed from search you can find it by searching winnie the pooh and archive.org

Item not available
    The item is not available due to issues with the item’s content.

it’s funny, since apple gives it away for free in color with DRM ebook junk, on ipod touch or ipod ebooks app. but a non-color, yellowed pages, version looks kind of old, you can’t even access it, of course I downloaded it already, before they disabled it, it’s only bad for new web users maybe, it’s not like they even correct all the spelling errors this ebook has in it, it’s sad, that they do this to old books, no wonder people use torrent sites, you the stuff you have to put up with, the BS they do, only so google ebooks,or others that put the crappy google logo all over their ebooks, talk about stuff the normal users wish they would not do etc..etc..

• anybizsoft says:

• anybizsoft says:

if the book is pdf format,we can use anybizsoft pdf converter to convert it.

• Kevin Bacon says:

I notice the link now says 68 books. I wonder if 6 of them had their bans lifted.

• LolaBookLover says:

What about Google Play bookstore? None of these books are free there, unfortunately.

• Ollie Manley says:

These banned books of our time and history need to be made available to the public so I thank the people working hard to make it possible for us who read seeing as the newer generation is brain washed by electronic devices I think it most important that reading be a major part of today’s scociety and also for fact of reason on the importance of literatures that could possibly illuminate history and other cultural importances that reveal and reflect the past so thank you to those of us out there who feel reading material is important to our scociety