Back in June, we first posted a handy list of web sites where you will find free intelligent videos -- documentaries, classic films, public television programs, university courses & lectures, interviews with big thinkers, etc. The collection has now grown to 50 sites. Below, you can find the first ten sites on the list, and you can check out the complete collection here. Feel free to share it with friends and, of course, tell us if we're missing something valuable by using the comments section below.
1) ABC Documentaries: This site pulls together some of the best documentaries aired on ABC television in Australia.
3) Arkive.org: The site gathers together "the very best films and photographs of the world's species into one centralised digital library, to create a unique audio-visual record of life on Earth." A great site for naturalists and nature lovers.
4) Australian Screen Archive: The Australian National Film and Sound Archive provides free and worldwide access to over 1,000 film and television titles – a treasury of down-under video 100 years in the making.
5) Babelgum: Babelgum's goal is to act as an international 'glue', bringing a huge range of professional and semi-professional content to a global audience – like a modern-day Tower of Babel. They're also making an effort to get their content to smartphones. They have an iPhone app now, and apps for other phones on the horizon.
8) BigIdeas: This show, which comes out of Canada, "offers a variety of thought-provoking topics which range across politics, culture, economics, art history, science.... The program has introduced Ontario viewers to the impressive brainpower of people like Niall Ferguson on American empire, Daniel Libeskind on architecture, Robert Fisk on the Middle East, George Steiner on the demise of literacy, Camille Paglia on aesthetic education, Tariq Ramadan on being a Western Muslim, Noam Chomsky on U.S. politics, Leon Kass on dying, Janice Stein on accountability and governance." See the full list of videos here.
9) BigThink: "Offers high quality video interviews and insight from the world's most influential experts in business, entertainment, education, religion and media." BigThink was founded partly with the help of Larry Summers, formerly the president of Harvard, now Obama's right hand economic man.
9) Bloggingheads.TV: We had several readers highly recommend bloggingheads.tv. Here is how bloggingheads has been described elsewhere: "a political, world events, philosophy, and science video blog discussion site in which the participants take part in an active back and forth conversation via webcam which is then broadcast online to viewers."
9) CultureCatch: CultureCatch.com has over 160 half-hour interviews with today's seminal artists in film, theater, music and literature. Here you'll find in-depth interviews with smart culture individuals dissecting art, comedy, fashion, film, music, politics, television, theater, even cooking.
10) Edge.org Video: Edge.org is run by John Brockman, literary agent to some of the most important science writers in the US and beyond. You'll find videos featuring these thinkers on the Edge's web site.